GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has put some blue dots, or any color gem dots into your trucks tails?

I'm thinking of trying it, adding a little hot-rod flavor to the daily driver (it's already "hot-rod" matte black with some mooneyes stickers on it)...
...but I'm a bit hesitant into drilling into my sealed tails (expensive to replace a mess up!).
I'd also want it sealed properly so I don't get any ridiculous fogging inside. Should I use a bit of clear ATV silicone? anything better and less messy, I don't want drips or globs inside!

Also, regarding the legality issue, I'm not sure if I'll actually rock the clear blues at this point, don't want the 5-0 on my case all the time. So, I might black out the blue dots from the back, and add in a pair of red dots above and below too. Maybe hard to picture, it's hard to explain. I'll just say, it looks fresh inside my gord, haha!

Anyway, if you've got photos please post'em up! Let me hear how you went about it, drill bit or what?

Thanks.
:big_banana_Dance:

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know what the hell you are talking about
hahaha.... how old are you? no offense intended.
It's an old hot-rod custom, very common in that scene, and back in the day... and no, I'm not "old" either, haha! I just like the style. :head:

·
Registered
133 Posts
hahaha.... how old are you? no offense intended.
It's an old hot-rod custom, very common in that scene, and back in the day... and no, I'm not "old" either, haha! I just like the style. :head:
lol, I am not a little kid if thats what you were thinking. I know about the blue lights in older cars, just didn't get what you were saying. I guess what you mean is you want to add some blue "gems" to your tails. I would say it would probably work if you painted the back of the "gem" black, before you installed it into the taillight. That way it wouldn't shine blue, but I think you are still gonna catch shit from it if you come across the right cop. What year is your truck? 88-98 taillights are on craigslist all the time for pretty cheap.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean this correct?

yep, you got it. Sorry, I should have posted a photo myself to help clarify.

I've got several blue-dots (some call them "gem-dots"), some in plastic, and the nicer ones are actually glass. The bezel on mine aren't quite as thick as the silver part on those in the photo you posted.

So, basically the point of the thread; I'm trying to sink some of those into my GMC tails, but do it symmetrically/even, and seal it properly so no moisture can get into the housing.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I like them on old vehicles with flat lights like 72 chevy trucks and such but I don't know how they would look on newer taillights

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, I am not a little kid if thats what you were thinking. I know about the blue lights in older cars, just didn't get what you were saying. I guess what you mean is you want to add some blue "gems" to your tails. I would say it would probably work if you painted the back of the "gem" black, before you installed it into the taillight. That way it wouldn't shine blue, but I think you are still gonna catch shit from it if you come across the right cop. What year is your truck? 88-98 taillights are on craigslist all the time for pretty cheap.

hey sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were a "little kid" or anything like that, haha! Just thought more people know what "blue dots" are.

My truck is a 2002 GMC Sierra. What makes it tougher is I'm going to have my local body shop spray the lamps a smoke color, so if I screw them up drilling it out, I'll have to have the next set of lamps resprayed too (big pain in the jazz).

I know what you mean about the boys in blue. They'll find anything if they really want to, and the way my truck is right now they've already got reasons, even if just minor. I don't think it could get much worse unless I had expired tabs or non functioning lights or something...

·
Registered
133 Posts
yep, you got it. Sorry, I should have posted a photo myself to help clarify.

I've got several blue-dots (some call them "gem-dots"), some in plastic, and the nicer ones are actually glass. The bezel on mine aren't quite as thick as the silver part on those in the photo you posted.

So, basically the point of the thread; I'm trying to sink some of those into my GMC tails, but do it symmetrically/even, and seal it properly so no moisture can get into the housing.
it would be different, any pics of your truck? where at in MI?

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it would be different, any pics of your truck? where at in MI?

Sorry, no photos of the ride right now... I'll try to post some in another thread once the weather returns back to warm (man, this snow right now is killin' me! I'm done with it!)
She's getting all torn down as we speak. Putting a cam and stall in it, and after that she'll go into the booth for a spray job... then I'm driving it down to Chicago for that BlackBear Performance group tune session.

I'm in Oxford, MI, about 15-20min up the road from the Palace, not sure if you know where it is... How about you?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry, no photos of the ride right now... I'll try to post some in another thread once the weather returns back to warm (man, this snow right now is killin' me! I'm done with it!)
She's getting all torn down as we speak. Putting a cam and stall in it, and after that she'll go into the booth for a spray job... then I'm driving it down to Chicago for that BlackBear Performance group tune session.

I'm in Oxford, MI, about 15-20min up the road from the Palace, not sure if you know where it is... How about you?
I know exactly where your at. I'm way out in hartland, basically M59 and US23.
How much are they charging you to tint them? I've done tons of them for friends and vehicles I have owned myself. I would think you could probably do it yourself for cheaper. Also if your just getting the stock 02 sierra ones a guy out here has a set for sale for $50.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know exactly where your at. I'm way out in hartland, basically M59 and US23.
How much are they charging you to tint them? I've done tons of them for friends and vehicles I have owned myself. I would think you could probably do it yourself for cheaper. Also if your just getting the stock 02 sierra ones a guy out here has a set for sale for $50.

They didn't quote me on a specific charge, it's all together when they spray my whole truck black next week.

Oh ok, I vaguely know Hartland. I spend some time in Fenton occassionally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts