GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am settin up my 93 ext cab, short bed to run 49s.
Have d60, detroit locker front with Moser Engineering inner and outer 35 spline axles.

Plan to use the new 806x spicer joint.

Any thoughts on durability? Dont have $500 to spend on the CTM joints. :(

btw 496 c.i. with 150 hp NoS :driver:

·
this
1,584 Posts
i hope you dont plan on sprayin with 49's..that is alot of mass for your drivetrain to be handling.
If you plan on running 49's..please do your frame, tranny, and steering a fav and BEEF it all up..
even that 496 will still strain unless you are running at least 6.72's (not to mention what you will be doign to your tranny).
and PLEASE dont get cheap when you start doing the steering..if you are going to drive it on the highway go ahead and install a hydraullic assist steering setup.
If you plan on this thing seeing anything more than a speed bump..go ahead and brace the frame.
[now steping down from pulpit]
but to answer your question- the spicer joint will hold up fair under normal use but if you have to start workin your wheels back and forth while not moving...ehhh...the d60 should hold up...for a while...

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ORU hyd asst. W crossover

th400 w/ TCI valve body

Rockwell T221 t-case

14 bolt f.f., detroit

1410 rear shaft, 1350 front

boxed rear frame rails, 2 added x members under cab

mabey a 6 point Cage in the future

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If you wheel it, the inner shafts and joints in the front will die quickly. As will the stock shafts in the 14 bolt. I blew 806x joints with 39's and a 454 and hardly any throttle at all, just crawling... If your just building another mall crawler on 49's you will be fine... Although some of those curbs and planters can be pretty trecherous.

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe

not a mall crawler,
Woods truck, no rocks or mountains, just mud.

these moser eng. shafts are suposed to be "virtualy indestructable"

I know stupidity can break anything.
I hope to be sensible with the go pedel.

·
this
1,584 Posts
sounds like you arent going to half ass it..good
yuh, ive heard good things about those axles shafts but nothing is indestructible. esp with tires that big.
Something else you might want to do..lighten up your front end. Or move your front axle out some. The 14bolt should hold up as long as you keep off the NoS but if you are going to lock the front the mud will tear up that 60 just as fast as anything else will.
I would keep the front open until you see how the 60 will hold up. If you already got a locker for it ..go for it just easy does it. With those axle shafts the the locker should go before they do...

btw where at in FL are you?
oh and PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want to see this thing being built!

·
Registered
832 Posts
That sounds like a sweet setup. You will prob be ok if you stick to mud with those axles. I have heard and seen bad things about CTM's and moser shafts. Also apparently CTMs arent to DD friendly. Post pics.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
are you running lockouts or flanges in teh front? The lockouts will be your weak point. If flanges then your joints will be your weak point.

BTW why are you using 49s and so much power on a "woods" truck? Your just asking to break shit spraying it.

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warn 35spline hubs

Was hoping the Hub would be the weak link. Easy to change and not too expensive.

HEHE, the NoS? " Just In Case I need It "

FORT PIERCE, FL :cheers:

pics coming soon, got all my parts now, but still a bare frame.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
yeah those hubs should be your weak link unless your running a tiny joint at the yolk.

How much lift are you running? ORU brackets? Custom fab?

·
mud junkie
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ORU brackets, instead of custom, my time is well worth the $795.
Super Lift 12" Front Springs, 3" Body Lift. should net 18"
I would like to get rid of the body lift if I can.
Not sure about the rear Yet

Ran 38 tsls on this truck with 6+3" for years. IFS held up very well, even bein hard on it. Broke it when BUDWIESER was drivin.

·
this
1,584 Posts
tallahassee

where FSU is at...oh yuh..we got the state capitol there too..but that isnt as important :anitoof:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts