GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck currently has a 6.0 swapped into it but might possibly have cracked a head or block and if i am going to be pulling the motor was looking to see what it would take to put a 6.2 in

·
Some dude on the internet
226 Posts
If you’re dead set on a 6.2 then just stick with a gen 3 6.0 and punch it out to 4.065. 6.2 blocks are gen 4 and will require lots of integration since they require gen 4 sensor placement (knock sensors, AFM oil towers, cam sensor, etc). If it’s a gen 5, then you’re in for a shit ton more work.

Or just get another 6.0, leave it alone and drop it in and call it a day. In my opinion dropping in a 6.2 isn’t worth the effort unless you’re into it for a pet project and love throwing money at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i have spent the night going thru post and seems keeping my truck 6.0 swapped will be the way to go seems the 6.2 is no where a direct swap or cheap and the gains are not worth it

·
Registered
787 Posts
If it has castech heads just throw a different set of heads on it and run it.. don't drop a new motor in it just cause the heads are cracked..

And I don't think I've ever seen a 6.0 block just crack

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your heads are cracked there's a very good chance your block is Warped. You might get lucky and I might not be. Then again it could just be a simple thermostat failure. They don't make them like they used to

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
My bet is the heads are castech and they are cracked in the usually places. Blocks most likely fine, I haven't seen blocks warp from a cracked castech head...

Also why are there two different threads for this issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did see gm had a service bulletin on the castech heads while doing some research last night i dont happen to remember the markings inside the head from when i just had it apart ia there a way to tell from the outside?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are two different threads cause they are two very differnt questions requesting two very different sets of information

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,332 Posts
Thought if it was a 6.0 it would have 317s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as i know they are the stock heads from the 6.0 it had less then 80k on it when i got the motor and i never swapped the heads

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,332 Posts
Still wouldn’t hurt to verify the casting number on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Some dude on the internet
226 Posts
Pretty much, and that’s likely what you have. Let’s take a step back first. What is making you think you have a cracked head or block? Other than visual confirmation, that will be kinda hard to tell. Is it overheating or what?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts