GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 12" L7s and I want to do port back sub back in just a regular rectangular shaped box with a slot port. The dimensions are 46" wide, height 20", and 16" depth. I'd like it to be tuned around 32-34hz. You can change up the dimensions a little if you need to adjust it for the port.

If anyone has a program to sketch up a ported box for me in their spare time, I'd really appreciate it. :shake:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the dimensions for the port.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have two 12" L7s and I want to do port back sub back in just a regular rectangular shaped box with a slot port. The dimensions are 46" wide, height 20", and 16" depth. I'd like it to be tuned around 32-34hz. You can change up the dimensions a little if you need to adjust it for the port.

If anyone has a program to sketch up a ported box for me in their spare time, I'd really appreciate it. :shake:
Well, if you use those dimensions you've got 6.9cu.ft. internally. Which is a bit overkill. Kicker recommends 2-3cu.ft. each so 4-6 total. I'd probably make it shorter and keep the depth.

I've got the program here, but I'm still pretty nub to it, so take this as a suggestion. I would go 46" wide, 16" tall, and 18" deep (height and depth can be interchanged if needed for the vehicle). For your vent (34hz), I would go 12" tall, 5" wide, and 22.5" long. For this, I would use the side of the box as a port side and build one side as to take up less interior volume for the port. After sub and port displacement, you would have 5.11 cu.ft. which should be just right. I'll paint you a rough layout to give you a visualization.

GMFSBox1.jpg

If you want to, I'd suggest adding 45's in the corners (blue) to help airflow and then resin the inside to help seal it off and smooth it out.

EDIT: This was done assuming 3/4" MDF and the box dimensions are external.

·
Registered
268 Posts
this are my boxes i got 1 sub for each box and they are kicker specified from the manuel and they are SPL.....

box.jpg

boxes.jpg

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
It's a fairly common layout that we use. I'm not sure as far as your application goes, I know Kimon (our lead installer) always has a few ideas of his own.

like i said before im down for whatever...just want loud and i guess sq is in there too...but definitely loud!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot redline, thats what I was after. I'll be using 3/4" MDF and those were outside dims.

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
hell ya and now 2 more are going in with a new zx2500.1 and a new 650.4 for all my mids and highs all new wiring all that good stuff...:)
shit man i was thinking my two sundown 1200d's and two re sx 12's (what i am planning)was gonna be loud...nothing compared to yours. just need to figure out what im gonna put on my highs since im pulling my memphis belle

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
shit man i was thinking my two sundown 1200d's and two re sx 12's (what i am planning)was gonna be loud...nothing compared to yours. just need to figure out what im gonna put on my highs since im pulling my memphis belle
DAT 4125:read:
diabloaudiotechnologies.com

or if you wanna stick with sundown get a SAX-125.2 or SAX-100.4

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
DAT 4125:read:
diabloaudiotechnologies.com

or if you wanna stick with sundown get a SAX-125.2 or SAX-100.4
it may just look better to stick with sundown. im running 75x4 right now. and its bridged to the focals. so i guess either of those would work

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why would more air space be overkill? If he is willing to give up the space, I was told on ported boxes more is better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your setup would be loud if you got two sae 1200d's and two RE SX 12's. If you have good electrical the sundown 1200d amps can put out 1500W rms @1ohm a piece.

I went with one sae 1200D and ordered one RE SX 12. Paid about $210 BNIB for the 1200d and $239 BNIB for the RE 12 sub. Cheap price for the setup..
I need some wiring, 3/4 mdf wood to build the box and that's about it.

I'll try my local shop for the wiring but if they try to overcharge me I can get knukonceptz,stinger or Rockford Fosgate wiring pretty cheap online.

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
Your setup would be loud if you got two sae 1200d's and two RE SX 12's. If you have good electrical the sundown 1200d amps can put out 1500W rms @1ohm a piece.

I went with one sae 1200D and ordered one RE SX 12. Paid about $210 BNIB for the 1200d and $239 BNIB for the RE 12 sub. Cheap price for the setup..
I need some wiring, 3/4 mdf wood to build the box and that's about it.

I'll try my local shop for the wiring but if they try to overcharge me I can get knukonceptz,stinger or Rockford Fosgate wiring pretty cheap online.
so you are just running one of each? any pics? i didnt get that deal on my amps but close. as for the subs. buying them through a dealer so ill pay a little more, but im cool with that. still getting everything cheap though.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Why would more air space be overkill? If he is willing to give up the space, I was told on ported boxes more is better.
you will bottom out your sub with too much air space.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts