GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm going out of town for a week coming up and I park my truck in my garage during the trip, but every time I come home the battery is dead (I'm pretty sure due to the way I installed my alarm, but oh well). I thought I might try one of those Battery Tenders, but wasn't sure of the safety to leave plugged in for a week. I dont want to come home to my house being burnt down lol. Are they safe to leave unattended for a week? Thanks! :shake:

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
I installed one in my wife's truck. She can go weeks without leaving the house. It's a straight forward installation.

I was going to put one in my truck, but, I don't want to have to pop my hood every time I need to use it.

Edit. The part that attaches to the battery is long enough for the plug to stick out in front of the hood on her truck. I have the wire slid between a small gap between the fender and the lights.

It's too short to do that with my truck and I don't want it sticking out between my hood and fender.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had one on my wife's Honda to help start in the winter with always having a nice full charge. No problems ever happened.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have 2 Ctek's
one on the bike and one on the pontiac and they stay plugged in all winter

Get one that will stop charging and wait till the battery voltage drops before it starts up again vs one that applys constant voltage

·
"The Man"
229 Posts
i leave mine plugged in all the time on my mustang, no issues.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered one, thanks guys! :shake:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have a cheap harbor freight one I use on the trans am over the winter. Works great.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,708 Posts
Don't use one. Store my nova all winter and just remove the battery cable from 1 terminal. Each spring it fires right up

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Boss at my highschool job had a one of the solar panel chargers that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Kept it in a truck that didn't move all winter. Seemed to work well.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts