GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talkin to a guy today at my local mud bog deal and he said that you can put 4 ounces of Acetone to every 10 gallon of gas and it significantly increases your mileage.... I did it to mine today and with just today's ridin around I have averaged 4mpg increase!! I am just testing it out! Its not suppost to hurt anything...Basicly its just souped up alcohol! I am gunna test it out and see how much MPG increase I get!

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Uh, acetone is a ketone, ethanol is an alcohol.

They both are solvents of varying degree's and flammable but they are supposed to be used for totally different reasons. Adding acetone to gas is supposed to lower the surface tension of gasoline, using pure alcohol to power high performance motors is used for its very high resistance to detonation.

I still think the whole theory is flawed and LaPointe's arguements are technobable without any hard chemistry to back it up.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well If it works and doesnt hurt anything I will spend $5 to save me money on 3 tanks of gas!

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Ok, but if your fuels lines swell and rupture from constant dilluted acetone I can laugh, sound fair?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If I get out the Adidas I save 29mpg... :rofl2:

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would it hurt really??? I mean 10ounces to 26 gallons...thats diluted alot....you really think that it would hurt anything?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
What would it hurt really??? I mean 10ounces to 26 gallons...thats diluted alot....you really think that it would hurt anything?
Less talk more action. Post up your results after you've run a few tanks.

Guys on DTC have attempted this and noted ZERO gains.

·
It is what it is
1,114 Posts
I think you your fuel lines and stuff would be OK in a flex fuel, but other than I wouldn't try it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
im still under warantee and have flex fuel.... think im ok to give it ago and if shit breaks, pass the buck to the stealership?

·
It is what it is
1,114 Posts
Yeah, should be Ok. With the lines and such upgraded to handle e85(it eats up regular lines fairly quicky), i doubt that the acetone mix would hurt it much. I would just make sure its diluted to the recommended specs and I would check and double check the lines for deterioration and post your results. I seriously dont think that gasoline/acetone mix is more potent than e85.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i think if it wer true, everyone would be doing it imo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts