GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2001 3/4ton Suburban. And they came with a 6.0L or a 8.1 big block. The trans were 4L80E for the 6.0L and the 8.1 had the 4L85E, basically the same trans. The new 3/4ton burbans only come with the 6.0L.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
what do you do at Ft McPhearson???

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 2001 3/4ton Suburban. And they came with a 6.0L or a 8.1 big block. The trans were 4L80E for the 6.0L and the 8.1 had the 4L85E, basically the same trans. The new 3/4ton burbans only come with the 6.0L.

That's exactly what I want to find out. I wouldn't even bother if it had the 6.0. Fuel mileage isn't even in the discussion, I need something that I can pack as much crap into as possible and keep it out of the weather, and safely/effectively haul out onto Cape Fear or 6000ft up in the mountains. Plus with a few mods it could easily be a double for one of those secret service trucks, which are the shit.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
8th digit should be a G if its a 8.1 that one is a U so its a 6.0

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6.0 milage = 12.5 mixed and 15 highway :rockon: I loved ours.

Those engines from the early Gen III years scare me to death. I don't need the 8.1 really, but between the 1500HD we owned with the 6.0, and various others I've seen/heard, they all have some serious ticking and piston slap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am with you on the fact that those 2000-2006 2500 black suburbans are the best looking Subs ever. I believe most of the 6.0 and 8.1 have the ticking and piston slap, but never heard even 1 case of an engine failure due to that. I would not worry about that. The 8.1 has reports of excesive oil consumption, that GM claims is normal too, again no major problems due to that (unless you do not check your oil level).

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
piston slap really never leads to failure as stated above. My dads old 5.3 slapped like none other when cold, sounded just like a diesel. 155k miles later he traded it in on his new truck without any engine problems over all those miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jameson, At FT Mac I am a Operation Officer for my BDE. No more fun kicken down doors, but after 14 years my body is taken a beating and am kinda glad to ride a desk, kind of!
As for the 6.0L the power is okay, better than the 5.3 or even the old 5.7, but not as good as the 8.1. The new 6.0L have 350+HP stock, and once you get the 6.0L tuned they really wake up big time, but they love the gas, not as much as a big block but they are thirsty. The guys at my worked used to joke around about my old 2001 3/4 Burban and called it the PSD vehicle. And for the life of the vehicle and my current ride the 6.0 has been great and have had no problems.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Those engines from the early Gen III years scare me to death. I don't need the 8.1 really, but between the 1500HD we owned with the 6.0, and various others I've seen/heard, they all have some serious ticking and piston slap.

I've had Gen IIIs since 1998, think of how many DONT have issues versus ones that do... I think it's blown out of proportion by internet morons just like most things.

Yes, don't forget 6L 2500 'Burbs also had a 9.5" SF. 6L is the minimum I'd consider in a Suburban.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe all the 6.0 had the 10.5 FF, I am not sure if the 8.1 had the bigger 11.5 FF like the Pickup trucks. I know that in the Pickup trucks the 6.0L has the 10.5 and in the older Big block and D-max truck they came with the larger 11.5 FF. The only trucks that I know of that had the 9.5 SF were the 2500LD pickups, 1500HD, and the V-max option ones.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Our K2500 suburban had a 9.5 sf :imo this is quite interesting :hmm: perhaps there was a tow package available?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts