GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does or has anyone been a detailer for a car dealership? I had an interview with a hella sick Cadillac dealership today and they want me to start asap. There's only going to be 2 detailers so I'll be working full time (9-6).
What should I expect with this?

There's also union dues, has anyone dealt with this? For each car I do it's a flat $28.75, not the same price as hourly. When I'm not focused on detailing a car, like screwing around in the shop, I get an hourly pay of $12/h. Does this all seem reasonable?

Anyone with any advise or experience feel free to post away.....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
what are they expecting you to do for each detail? I havent worked at a dealership, so I'm not sure what the going rate for a car is, but the hourly doesnt sound tooo bad for starting.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
if you have already been detailing for awhile professionally by yourself i would not go into a dealership...i detailed at a Cadillac dealer here in PHX for almost a year and i'll tell ya....as bad as you wanna make the car look flawless it just isnt cost effective for you to make money there which makes you develop VERY bad habits

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are they expecting you to do for each detail? I havent worked at a dealership, so I'm not sure what the going rate for a car is, but the hourly doesnt sound tooo bad for starting.

Basically the traded in cars I'm supposed to throw something on them that looks shinny and get them the hell out of there. New cars that just sold, not too much, wax and cleanup. Client (used) cars get more attention. Interior, clay bar, quick polish and wax. Nothing too serious

if you have already been detailing for awhile professionally by yourself i would not go into a dealership...i detailed at a Cadillac dealer here in PHX for almost a year and i'll tell ya....as bad as you wanna make the car look flawless it just isnt cost effective for you to make money there which makes you develop VERY bad habits

I was thinking the exact same thing. Cost efficiency is going to be a lot different then if I'm out on my own working. I don't want to be taking shortcuts with my own work.

I was thinking I'd give it a try for a little while just to see if I like it or not. Plus it brings in a small cash flow, which I could desperately use at this point. I showed them some pics of some of the cars I've done (Porsche, BMW, and Cody's Chevy) and the first thing they told me was there is definite possibilities of me moving up in rank fast. I'm hoping this is a good thing, but I dunno. Why not try it right?

NVR2LO - When you worked in PHX, did you get any employee benefits, maybe like discounts or anything? Did you have to deal with anything towards Unions and what not?

Thanks guys for your responses!

·
OG
6,939 Posts
When i worked at the Largest ford dealership in Houston as a car salesman they had a bunch of Spanish people washing the new cars and cleaning up the fresh trades.

:imo I wouldn't do it. You would not belive the crap people trade in. $29 a car is def not worth it.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
NVR2LO - When you worked in PHX, did you get any employee benefits, maybe like discounts or anything? Did you have to deal with anything towards Unions and what not?
no unions.....i got health benefits through the dealer if thats what you mean..??....as far as products go i didnt really get any discounts on anything cuz we werent allowed to have any distributors ccome in and we couldnt buy our own products on a budget...everything was provided for us (buffers, chemicals, towels, etc...) which was nice but also sucked ccuz alot of the polishes and shit we used were all a bunch of scratch-x type filler stuff not a true cut polish....was basically product to get the car looking nice enought to sell it and get it off the lot...nothing to really do any work and make real progress and protection.....dealerships are the shadiest mo-fos on the face of this earth IMO

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i worked at the Largest ford dealership in Houston as a car salesman they had a bunch of Spanish people washing the new cars and cleaning up the fresh trades.

:imo I wouldn't do it. You would not belive the crap people trade in. $29 a car is def not worth it.
I dont have to wash anything or cart things around at this dealership. They have other guys doing that. I have my own little set up for me personally and one other guy. We are based solely on the "detailing" aspect. They have their own "detailing department" to my understanding. I think I'll give it like a month or two and see what the paycheck turns out to be and if it's not enough, I'm out. I agree with 29 a car isn't enough. A few of the trade ins I saw were POS

no unions.....i got health benefits through the dealer if thats what you mean..??....as far as products go i didnt really get any discounts on anything cuz we werent allowed to have any distributors ccome in and we couldnt buy our own products on a budget...everything was provided for us (buffers, chemicals, towels, etc...) which was nice but also sucked ccuz alot of the polishes and shit we used were all a bunch of scratch-x type filler stuff not a true cut polish....was basically product to get the car looking nice enought to sell it and get it off the lot...nothing to really do any work and make real progress and protection.....dealerships are the shadiest mo-fos on the face of this earth IMO
Yeah, I get health benefits and paid vacations if I've worked enough hours and what not. I didn't get a chance to really see what products they were using, I should be getting more info in the next couple of days. As far as discounts or what not, what about like car parts?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yeah, I get health benefits and paid vacations if I've worked enough hours and what not. I didn't get a chance to really see what products they were using, I should be getting more info in the next couple of days. As far as discounts or what not, what about like car parts?
well yeah if you get to know the parts guys fairly well they can get shit for ya at cost or for free if they know the proper channels and strings to pull

·
GMC & IROC-Z
348 Posts
Usually at a stealership it is 10% over cost on parts. Ford and GMC are that way.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well yeah if you get to know the parts guys fairly well they can get shit for ya at cost or for free if they know the proper channels and strings to pull
I gotta start taking classes on ass-kissin. I doubt it but it would be sick if I could get my new Toyo's out of them.....

Usually at a stealership it is 10% over cost on parts. Ford and GMC are that way.
That's not toooo bad, considering how hard they'd fuck someone else over to get those parts...

·
Registered
542 Posts
mike this sounds like a pretty sick deal as long as you are moving up and making some more bank... you gotta catch up to me and get as tall as i am! jk man. i put in my intake yesterday btw... K&N for $199 hellll yeah. but dude... i have a new project in mind...

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mike this sounds like a pretty sick deal as long as you are moving up and making some more bank... you gotta catch up to me and get as tall as i am! jk man. i put in my intake yesterday btw... K&N for $199 hellll yeah. but dude... i have a new project in mind...
Where'd you buy the intake? Notice anything? PM me on your new project idea or give me a call

·
Registered
542 Posts
i got it off of some sketch site but whatever it was all good. so there are two slightly angled bars of frame behind the grill in our trucks. I found these lights http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Driving...4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1180587051&sr=1-14 and they have a black backround. I am going to mount them to the frame BEHIND the grill and run them through the firewall and have my cigarette lighter be the switch. we have the wiring all figured out!

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i got it off of some sketch site but whatever it was all good. so there are two slightly angled bars of frame behind the grill in our trucks. I found these lights http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Driving...4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1180587051&sr=1-14 and they have a black backround. I am going to mount them to the frame BEHIND the grill and run them through the firewall and have my cigarette lighter be the switch. we have the wiring all figured out!

If your going with HID's, don't spend the money on those. They are hella sick, but burn a hole in your pocket. Other then that, badassssss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts