GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am not going to lie. I am about the laziest person in the world when it comes to paint care. Generally I hire it out, but I was thinking of taking a little bit more active role in my paint care and put a coat of wax on the truck last saturday. I was using some meguires liquid deep crystal wax or something and it came out real good. You can't deny that a coat of wax helps the shine. My problem is that it took about 3 hours to do one coat of wax on the whole truck minus the roof. And afterward my arm felt like it was going to come off. It reminded me of why I hire it out usually.

My question is, is there an easier or better or quicker way to apply the wax? I read on here guys doing a polish, glaze then a couple layers of wax. That would take me a week to do by hand. I don't know, maybe I am doing something wrong, so please, school me on what I can do to make the process less painful ... literally.

Thanks,
Chad

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 panels going at a time. Put some wax on the applicator or panel depending on location. Once I was done applying the second panel I would go wipe off the wax from the previous panel. This at least gave my arm a little break from applying the wax. At the detail shop I use they apply to the whole truck at once but their product isn't as thick as what I was using. It is much more liquid and goes on real quick.

And it was all done by hand. Thus the fact that my arm was hurting so bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alot of people on here use a Porter Cable Machine (commonly called a PC or 7424) to apply polishes compounds, glazes etc. That machine really spees up the process.

Jon

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
When I wax mine, I cover the entire truck and then go back to wipe it off. It takes me 30-45 minutes, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. :shrug:

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I wax mine, I cover the entire truck and then go back to wipe it off. It takes me 30-45 minutes, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. :shrug:
It was probably more like 2 hours but still, even I knew that it shouldn't take that freakin long. It just took so long to apply it to a point where i felt like I was getting any kind of coverage. I could just be going slow and being to picky about coverage. Either way, i hurt when I was done so I still need a better way to do it.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And let me remind you, this is like the second time ever that I have applied wax. So I am just trying to find better ways to do it or better products that may be easier.

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
I have no clue what you were doing for 2 hours, lol.

Since I use so many waxes I get a feel for which ones dry faster, which ones can be applied thick, etc. A lot of my time is waiting for the wax to dry so to speak (with the ones I can do a whole car with before "buffing" off). There's no way its ever over an hour to do the whole thing.

Like stated above you can use a PC if you have one, but I like doing it by hand as I can assure it gets everywhere.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure that once I get the hang of it it will go much quicker. so which products apply well? I would rather do a couple coats of something thinner.

·
Coon-Ass Member
104 Posts
I use a Rain-X Spray wax. It comes in a blue bottle with a black squirter (?) on the top. I have a 10" buffer i got from walmart and i apply the wax to the buffer in nickel to quarter sized portions and make figure 8's on each panel/door. I then come back later with the softer pad that came with my walmart buffer and take all the wax off at once. if i miss any spots, i take a microfiber cloth to it and wipe it away.

Whew. but yeah i know what you mean, it sucks doing a full size truck by hand. Been there, done that. Never again.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I am sure that once I get the hang of it it will go much quicker. so which products apply well? I would rather do a couple coats of something thinner.
exactly. The more you do it, the quicker you'll get. Now, if you want to consider trying a different product, that will REALLY cut down on your application time, check out optiseal. You can apply this to the truck in probably under 20 minutes. Mainly b/c of how its formulated. You apply in circular motions, using thin layers, then simply allow it to evaporate. That simple. No buffing required. Just give a quick wipe to any product that hasnt evaporated (and that only happens when its applied to thick).

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/optiseal.html

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
exactly. The more you do it, the quicker you'll get. Now, if you want to consider trying a different product, that will REALLY cut down on your application time, check out optiseal. You can apply this to the truck in probably under 20 minutes. Mainly b/c of how its formulated. You apply in circular motions, using thin layers, then simply allow it to evaporate. That simple. No buffing required. Just give a quick wipe to any product that hasnt evaporated (and that only happens when its applied to thick).

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/optiseal.html
That sounds like a good product. Im going to have to get a bottle when I order a pc.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Experience certainly plays a big role... the more you do it the faster you'll get.

I'd also watch how much you're using. Applying HEAVY coats will make it more difficult to spread evenly and make removal harder. I'd say about 90% of people who aren't used to waxing/polishing use FAR too much product. More product doesn't mean more protection or more shine so keep that in mind and apply thin skim coats of wax versus big goopy layers.

I second Chris' recommendation on the Optiseal... great stuff and its wipe on / walk away... no removal. I use it to seal cars and wheels all the time. I would advise that you apply wax over the top of a sealant. Though Optiseal is a great product, with high protection and ease of use it offers very little in the way of depth or gloss. I personally think it leaves the paint looking kind of lifeless. With a paintjob as nice as yours Dante it would be a crime to not treat it to at least one layer of wax or at least a glaze.

For ease of application I like Adams Buttery Wax... its a carnuba polymer blend and it does go on/come off very easily. It also responds well to layering IMO.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Poorboys EX-P goes on really easily and wipes off great, if you don't slather it on all over.

Edit: And if you're doing it by hand maybe try one of these:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

That isn't exactly what I have but it's similar. Mine has the velcro on the flat side so I can use whatever pad I want to. Doesn't wear your hand/arm out near as much.

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
Is using a orbital buffer ok to apply wax? I have been doing this for a while to cut down on time but is that a good idea? I was just using Maguires liquid wax with it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Poorboys EX-P goes on really easily and wipes off great, if you don't slather it on all over.

Edit: And if you're doing it by hand maybe try one of these:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

That isn't exactly what I have but it's similar. Mine has the velcro on the flat side so I can use whatever pad I want to. Doesn't wear your hand/arm out near as much.
You can also apply exp to the whole vehicle before going back to remove it all. This can also help speed up a process :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can also apply exp to the whole vehicle before going back to remove it all. This can also help speed up a process :)
Yup, I have noticed doing wax by hand I get terrible coverage so I drag the PC out to do it now, covers a 3x3 section in seconds basically.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts