GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all saw a thread a while ago asking about the best a arms to buy for a obs, in the thread strong arms where regarded as the best to fix camber issues/bj angles when rolling low. i have looked on there site (art) and just wondering what kit to get, ie just the arms ($1200) or get the kit for $1400 which going by the pictures includes the arms,balljoints,bushes bags, upper bag cup and shocks mounts.also with this kit to lay frame on 22's with this setup will it still require cutting out a fair section of the spring pocket to give clearance for the bag when deflated, also are the benifits of these arms over stock arms worth the $$$$? cheers ryan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers dave, like you have mentioned i did realise i would have to notch out the frame for tie rods. also do you have any pictures of wear the frame is pie cut above the lca? never seen or heard of doing this mod? will check nicks thread on fsc to see if it mentions it there, thanks ryan

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
he had stock arms i think so he just dehumped the lower arm.
i prefer the pie cutting of the frame. if your looking at the spring pocket its towards teh back. take out a chuck from the bottom like this> where it would hit the arm then beat it up and weld it back together. i had to do that to my obs with art arms to lay a 235/75/15

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers dave i think i understand what you mean lol, pretty much is it so the control can go up abit further into the frame? thanks ryan, also i take it you had art arms on your truck? if so was the camber a lot better with the art arms than stock? im not real keen on buying tires all the time thats all!

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
too much $$ for those. No reason they should cost so much. most people say you get what you pay for. But overpricing something just because you are one of only a few that make that item doesnt make it worth what you charge.

we paid 4 bucks a gallon for gas last year but that doesnt mean the gallon was worth that much....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
too much $$ for those. No reason they should cost so much. most people say you get what you pay for. But overpricing something just because you are one of only a few that make that item doesnt make it worth what you charge.

we paid 4 bucks a gallon for gas last year but that doesnt mean the gallon was worth that much....
i understand what your saying mike but from what i have read they are a good set of arms and help reduce tire wear ect..., from what i have read the cheaper ones do not really help a great deal (i could be wrong but) so if true i dont see the sense in buying cheaper ones if i they do not do anything but look nice. I have emailed a shop in australia to see if they can build me a set as im not even sure that a set made in the usa will pass our strict laws in australia, they may have to be made along side a engineer to meet there standards

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
wow thats difficult laws... but

Ive sold several sets of arms to guys down there for Isuzu and Mazda trucks. The only hassle Ive run into was the shipping... USPS was the best way to go on that lol

The thing with lowering arms is the uppers need to be a bit longer to compensate for the drop and get rid of negative camber. most are stock length uppers.

just do your research on camber, bumpsteer etc

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah mike our rules down here are quite difficult but it does keep alot of back yard hacks off the road which is not a bad thing!!but obviously there is still some rough work that goes on as it happpens everywhere, down here we don't see as much of it though like you blokes do due to our laws, with the control arms i realise i will need the uppers longer, i plan on getting a set of 22's then getting them built after the wheels are on. the shop i am getting the rear of my truck done are very professional in what they do so im quite confident that they can build me a set of quality arms. cheers ryan

·
fab in the lab
225 Posts
most aftermarket uppers are about 1/2" to 3/4" longer than stock... thats 13mm to 19mm to you down there. Let me know if I can be any assistance in the build of those arms. ask me any questions you like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts