GMC Truck Forum banner

821 - 827 of 827 Posts

·
Roll Tide
868 Posts
Ive got some questions. Recently a state road here was torn down to dirt and kept that way for three weeks, I drove over it twice a day, maybe 2-3 miles of dirt. They sprayed calcium on it to keep the dust down and somehow I got calcium spray all over my truck. The paint/wheels etc has a foggy haze over it that washing doesn't touch. What should I use to remove this? Also what can I use to remover wax residue off of plastic and spray on bed liner? Thanks
As for the calcium spray, I would tackle that with some strong APC and a clay bar, then a wash with dawn dish soap, and repeat until the residue is gone. Then wash again with good soap, wax, and seal it to make sure its protected. For the wax residue, Ive been lucky enough for APC and a stiff brush to remove it, but someone may chime in with better ideas.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
As for the calcium spray, I would tackle that with some strong APC and a clay bar, then a wash with dawn dish soap, and repeat until the residue is gone. Then wash again with good soap, wax, and seal it to make sure its protected. For the wax residue, Ive been lucky enough for APC and a stiff brush to remove it, but someone may chime in with better ideas.
If the calcium buildup is significant enough that you can't remove it with soap and water alone you might want to try a 1:1 dilution of distilled water and white vinegar.
Thanks! Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend! I should send the bill to the state.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Depends what kind of deal was made.

All my cars/trucks. When I first get them. I'll completely strip the car down. Carpet and all out of the interior and do a few good scrub down on the carpet over a few days. You would be amazed at how clean a carpet looks then you strip it down and it's nasty underneath.

Most detailers won't pull the seats unless your paying more for. Avoid all out detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
tomorrow i'm going to drive over to a local auto body shop to see if I can score some info and perhaps some polishing wax. I just bought a '08 sierra. the truck has been up north all this time, from B.C. Canada, and nw Washington state so the weather hasn't been beating down on it all these years. I washed the truck today, a touchless wash. and the sides of the truck is smooth. of course the hood has some small "pits" but doesn't feel too bad.

the auto parts guy recommended a block or a brick, I forgot what he said, and I was thinking on buying either the mothers brazillian canuba car cleaner/wax, or mcgwires or turtle wax. Which one is better? I also want to buy or use a buffer to clean up the headlights and lower fog lights. which kind of buffing pad should I get that I could place into my craftsman drill? Thank you very much and i'll let ya know how it turns out

821 - 827 of 827 Posts