GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First we tried to get the collectors off at my friends house but couldnt get them loose. So we go to a performance shop down the street from his house and get one collector unbolted, but ended up stripping 2 of the 3 bolts on the other one. Since I was already there and getting irritated, I told them to go ahead and install them. We got there at 12:30, didnt end up getting the truck in till around 5. They were working on a Z28 that was giving them fits, and how funny it was with some headers. So while its up on the lift they tell me it doesnt look like the cats will fit, so I tell them to weld it up without the cats. They unbolt the stock manifolds no problem. They get the drivers side long tube in nice and perfect. The passenger side was horrible. Wouldnt fit for shit at all. We had to dent in the header a little bit, hit down a heat shield that was in the way and eventually ended up having to move the starter as well and also had to lift the body off the frame to get some more clearance. So finally at 10pm, yes thats 5 hours of working on it, they finally get it all bolted up and welded on. I still have a little collector leak, but not bad so I'll just take it to an exhuast shop and get it done again.
I'm so exhausted, I was at that shop from 12:30 to 10:30 in the sun all day.
So now I'm running ASM's with no cats and true dual dynomax bullets.
All I can say is it sounds like Im running open headers. The sound is incredible and very f*cking loud. Sounds nice and quiet at idle and when cruising around, but once I get on it, it roars. Feels like it lost a little down low, but the sucker flies from 2nd gear up. I think I'll end up putting cats back on it when some more paychecks come my way and I can get a real exhaust shop to weld it up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jeff said:
headers are always a PITA
Can't say that often enough.

DeTon8TeD out of curiosity where did you get them from and how much did you pay.

O.T. what type of mileage are you seeing on your 6.0 both highway and city? Also any dislikes about the Quadrasteer system? I'm contemplating a 2500 Quadrasteer Yukon XL but mileage is more important than the money.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Milage is dependant on your right foot and gearing with tire size. Heavy shoes and short gears (3.42:1 or 3.73:1) = poor economy.

I gained ~2mpg avg and ~3mpg freeway with a tune. If I have 4.56:1 gears or short tires again I'd easily get 22-24mpg on the freeway I'd say.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Isn't your truck brand new and it's that difficult to remove stuff? Well anyways glad you got them on & you like the way it sounds. :head: Installing headers are a PITA especially when you don't know how they are going to sound, and perform when your done. Before I installed my headers I had just a muffler and tail pipes running out the back. Now headers installed with the same muffler no tail pipes just dumped before the axle and this set up sounds like shit. :flame:

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Im glad to see you finally got em installed. I cant wait to hear them on the 11th :head:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
y2kboti said:
Can't say that often enough.

DeTon8TeD out of curiosity where did you get them from and how much did you pay.

O.T. what type of mileage are you seeing on your 6.0 both highway and city? Also any dislikes about the Quadrasteer system? I'm contemplating a 2500 Quadrasteer Yukon XL but mileage is more important than the money.

I got the headers from hitman x,
I dont really pay attention to the highway vs city mileage because I am hardly on the highway but the electronic gauge says 10.8 mpg :bawl:
but then again i'm always on the throttle. Quadrasteer is straight up badass,
I can take turns going 80mph and barely feel any body roll. I can park anywhere and get out of almost anywhere with teh quadrasteer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
DeToN8TeD said:
...the electronic gauge says 10.8 mpg
OUCH! I know the DIC guage is usually wrong but I get that with my truck now and 36" tires. I guess I'll stick with a Duramax. Can't beat 18mpg on the highway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts