GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about the Astro Vans? I have thought about getting one since I do a lot of trips.. Take out the back seats and put a bed back there in case I have to make any stops with the ladies. :naughty: How reliable are these vans?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
we had like an 89 or something forever, put 160k miles on it with no major problems except had to replace the water pump I think. It was sold long before I could drive so I have no clue how it drove, not to mention it was an old model. I do know it held up damn good though, we arnt easy on vehicles at my house and it more than passed the test. It was replaced with a 98 fullsize van that has held up close to as good and has close to 100k miles on it now.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats awesome! Ive even considered a fullsize van but I know they dont get that great of mpg..

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
my dads just got an 89 astro. 4.3L, gets 20mpg he says. We have done a lot to it in the 3 weeks hes had it, Wooden Panels on the interior waiting to be carpeted, carpeted teh floor. Hes lookin for a bench seat for the back now, hes got an mp3 player with 4X6's in teh doors and boxed 6X9s attached to the interior panels. Its lowered 3/3 or 3/4 something like that, and we just molded in a rollpan this weekend, hes got a billet grille for it too.

i think ive told you about it before stumeat, I'll post some pics shortly, i have no where to upload them to, my pc isnt online yet, and my parents one sucks:bawl:

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
onyx said:
is there alot of aftermarket for the astro's?
suprisingly, yeah, most of the companies who make products for fullsize trucks, have similar products for vans

<<<Resident Van Expert:rotflmao:

·
OG
6,939 Posts
We had a 98 with the vortech v6 it really wasnt that slow. Me and my brothers abused that thing so bad we took it mudding and stuff. i say get one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My friend has a Safari (GMC version of the Astro) conversion van. It really rides nicely, gets good gas mileage, and has a decent amount of power. I think it's a year 2000 model. They haven't had any real big reliability issues. I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I read an article a while back that said they were really popular in japan...because they've got so much more power than the 4 bangers over there :LOL:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i've got an astro... 170k miles on it. The paint looks like shit, but the car is still running strong. I get like 22mpg in it too. It keeps on chugging

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i say get one thats fairly nice lookin and paint it black lower a little on some TT2's :rocking:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
vans are awsome, id roll one if it was pimped out. theres this guy on my street who has a fullsize chevy van, its pimp. He has 17" rims, an aftermarket lower airdam and what i think is a gibson exhaust. he also has shades in the windows and katzskin two tone leather seats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not into mini vans, but full size kick ass! We have had 2 astros a 93 sold with 150K on it with little major problems other than head gasket and tranny being replaced (mark 3 packwage was pretty sweat though). Now we have a 97 astro delivery van with no windows on the sides :( ... on 50k on it

I don't like driving them they feel to top heavy in corners to me. The 4.3 has power and the 4.3 ho has more, but I would much rather have a v8. Mechanical work on them is a PITA cause there is no room in the engine compartment and you have to pop out the cow to get to anything on the backside of the engine.

I have seen a couple of db drag astros and custom rides that look pretty sweet, but I still would rather have a FS.

Had a buddy that had a FS chevy van back in the day that was pretty sweet I labeled it a F*ck Truck for him.

·
layin big rubber
1,456 Posts
my parents has a 90 astro van with like 225k miles on it

stock motor, stock tranny, stock rearend

it has had little work put into, the tranny oil has only been changed like 2-3times and the filter one time
the motor has only had maybe 5-6 oil changes, also most of the time it has been ran low on oil, never changed the air filter aka stock

it has a small oil leak from the valve covers
its only had maybe 2-3 tune ups: ie. pugs, wires, cap and rotor
it has done alittle amount of towing on it, everything from my 1/2 ton to harleys in the back part, to my dj gear in the back also

my parents did a 12hour one way road trip with it when it had 210k miles
it just blew a head gasket not to long ago,
the starter went out one time, a few batteries and thats about it

it went thur4 teenagers learning how to drive with it
everything from burn outs to topping it out on the freeway
to off-roading

its been beat hard and it still runs good, my parents still will drive it even tho it needs a head gasket, the tranny slips when u give it more then 3/4 throttle
on the freeway it will get up to about 60mph no problem but then after that it takes a few miles to get up to 70-75mph
the motor doesn't miss but it doesn't have the balls like it did when it was new

my parents took it to a shop to get the head gasket done but the shop wanted to re-build the motor so they didn't get the motor done

its not daily drove anymore

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts

the bitch keeps on going and going. 170k miles on it, and it keeps going. Its replacement was bought about 70k miles ago. THe starter went out on it about 3 years ago, but thats the only failure its had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts