GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question, I had my rear differential serviced and GM put normal 80W90 oil and additive one little bottle in it. I have a clunking noise from the rear every now and then when I'm turning, is this normal, cause the Auburn is still locked somehow or should I add more additive?
It didn't clunk before.

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Auburn manual and it recommends the GM 80W90 gear oil plus GM or Ford additive 3oz for every qt of oil.
I have 2 bottles of additive in it now each has 4oz. I still get the shatter noise from time to time especially when the gears are warm when I drove a lot. Could it be that my Auburn just stays locked then? Would it cause any damage if I just leave it alone and keeps popping?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Hrm... I only have a single bottle of additive with the Eaton in my F150 and that's got an Axle Girdle from TFS that increases capacity also.

That being said, I have no problems with mine with problems you describe. I also ran an LSD in the past w/o additive and it wasn't bad like a clunking sound that you describe.

You sure it's not something else? Didn't you just have your rear brakes rebuilt also? :think:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts