GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Da Experimentor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 94 explorer as a DD to drive to work till i find a new truck. it had a tape deck in it and that just doesnt work for me. so i bought a kenwood deck from best buy just to have so i have cd/mp3 capabilities again.

now, evidentaly my explorer has "premium sound" (might of been "premium" back in the day) ive got everything connected correctly and everything powers up, but i have no sound. does anybody know if these come from the factory with a amplifier i need to bypass, AND IF SO, by chance any idea where it is?

all help is GREATLY appreciated and much needed!

TIA,
Nick

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
did it have the antenna at the deck?
Did it have the grey plug and a square black one for speaker wires? If so did you hook up the amp turn on wire?

·
Da Experimentor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it does have a grey plug and a smaller black square one. the anntena was right at the back of the deck. I heatshrinked all the radio connections and the power, ground, and 12V constant. didn't know I needed to wire up a remote wire. I figured if it did have an amp I'd ha e to by pass it so theamp in the deck didn't fight it. I'm I wrong?

the pack of wiring adapters they gave me wired right up and they gave me an adapter to 'bypass' the factory amp as well if I needed.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you need to bypass the fact amp
not pos on the years but my dad's exploder had the amp behind the plastic pannel on the pass side cargo area

·
Registered
690 Posts
i used to drive a '93 Explorer... before that, i drove a '82 Ford...both of which i used the same CD player. A jvc arsenal...

Let me tell you though, trying to get that player to work in the explorer was a major PITA... if it wasn't 1 thing..it was another. I had the same problem as you @ first with the sound. I believe i had some wires crossed somewhere along the line. (i didn't have a harness... just a knife, electrical tape, and a lighter) lol.

Actually.. come to think of it... i never really figured out the problem with the sound..(i read in the owners manual about the amp...but i couldn't find it). So all i did was re-run some speaker wire from the speakers to the headunit... viola. It worked. A simple 2 hour job turned into a 5 hour nightmare though... -_-

Hope that helped ya some...

·
Da Experimentor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found the amp, bypassed it with the harness. deck fired up perfectly.

ran all the wires for my amp, fired up right away. now i just need to get some specs for a box for my 3 L7 8's or possibly sell all of my 8's and find some 10's or 12's.

Suggestions? And thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts