GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a reputable, quality, audio shop within 25+/- miles of me?? Rancho Cucamonga 91730.

The guys that were doing my work have finally just pissed me off to the point I won't be going back. 4 times in there now for my NON FUNCTIONAL steering wheel controls... and they still are trying to blame the factory buttons :wank: Got my money back for the install of the harness they did way back when and I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Plus I need to swap all my factory speakers out... 2 of them are starting to sound pretty shitty.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Which steering wheel control harness is it? PAC SWI-X or SWI-Jack?

I've never done one (have the SWI-X sitting in my garage cabinet), but they're supposed to be pretty simple. DIY IMO...same with your door speakers...

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
ya me

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I could ask around on my super secret installers and shop owners forum

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Do the door speakers yourself. Get the Metra wiring adapters and its literally plug and play.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice bro, but you're a little farther than I'm willing to drive... San Diego - Rancho Cucamonga isn't far, but it ain't exactly round the corner either.

Do the door speakers yourself. Get the Metra wiring adapters and its literally plug and play.
ORLY? Elaborate or metra adapters pls?

Anybody else... its damn impossible to find a decent audio shop around here anymore. All the independents seem like they're going out of business left and right.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
the steering wheel control can be a pain in the ass if your doing it for the first time. I do them all day and ask rickp we still had some issues with his. as far as the speakers go that should be cake. As far as the adapters all that info can be found on installers.com (http://www.installer.com/wires/) good luck and pm me if you have questions.

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts
Speakers are DIY :imo that shit's a cakewalk... steering wheel controls can be pretty confusing if you haven't done them before though. I remember the first ones I did on my friend's 99 silverado (it was a 2wd 99 and we swapped over the body to a 4wd 03 roller from a wreck) was a PITA. He used the steering wheel out of the 03 of course seeing as the steering is different for 2wd and 4wd plus it looked better :crazy:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm not totally retarded, I'm sure I could do the speakers myself, I was just gonna throw the business to a shop if someone referred me. Might as wel while its in for the steering wheel controls.

As for the controls, they worked right after I had them done, then gradually they were harder and harder to use... eventually just stopped working at all so not sure what the problem is.

Also, since we have some audio guys in here... what the hell do you think would cause my W200 Alpine to mute on its own whenver my heated seats are on. Its strange, but if I turn on the heated seat anytime I take the turn it mutes :think:

Not a big deal since I maybe use the heated seats 2-3x a year, but what the hell weird ass kind of problem is that???

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
it varies the resistance to something that the SWC box sees as a mute function

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Yeah, those adapters are just if you ever think you might take your TB back to stock. It allows you to plug the speakers into the stock plugs without cutting any of the factory speaker harness. I got them for mine because I found some at CC when they were going out of business for a steal.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
Yeah, those adapters are just if you ever think you might take your TB back to stock. It allows you to plug the speakers into the stock plugs without cutting any of the factory speaker harness. I got them for mine because I found some at CC when they were going out of business for a steal.
never used them. just cut with enough room to re connect the stock connectors if needed.

the issue with the mute button has to do with interference. you should just wire it up separately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts