·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Auto 4WD? my 01 tahoe has Auto 4wd/2wd/hi-4wd/lo-4wd

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It is refered to as an Auto-Trac it only engages when the rear tires start slipping. Unlike 4WD where it works full time.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Your transfer case has clutches in its case. when you are in AUTO 4x4 the front axle is engaged, but does not receive torque untill the rear tires slip then cltuches apply pressure to the front wheels. It kind of like having a differential in the transfer case.

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do I have to hit the button for it to be ready for rear tire slip?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Use auto 4x4 is roads are icy or in hills and you dont need full time 4x4 but need extra traction leave it in auto 4x4. you wont notice it.....

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use auto 4x4 is roads are icy or in hills and you dont need full time 4x4 but need extra traction leave it in auto 4x4. you wont notice it.....

thats what I thought. Thanks man :shake:

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so will I have a problem lowering my truck with Auto-Trac? I'm gonna use the mcgaughys 2/3 lowering kit w/drop spindles

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
so will I have a problem lowering my truck with Auto-Trac? I'm gonna use the mcgaughys 2/3 lowering kit w/drop spindles
If you are planning to race this truck, the auto option is nice to keep traction. As for driving all the time in auto 4x4 i wouldn't recommend it, due to accelerated wear. As for lowering spindles i don't think they are available for 4x4's. just de-crank the torsion bars and use a lowering spring in the rear, and keep enough tire to grab the asphalt for traction.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
McGauphy's makes spindles to lower a 4WD...gotta run a 17" or bigger. You can also get BellTech lowering keys to get lower in the front.

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
McGauphy's makes spindles to lower a 4WD...gotta run a 17" or bigger. You can also get BellTech lowering keys to get lower in the front.
yea I have 22x9.5's coming this week with 305/40/22s

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Should look good with a small drop like the 2-3".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts