GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i searched and didnt find anything, and i didnt know where else to put this. I have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0L, i was wondering how much money and work if it to put in a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. the hardest thing i can think of would be running all the lines for the clutch and putting in the pedal, but thats just what i think. anybody know anything about this and the cost?

·
Registered
216 Posts
clutch, master cylinder, hydraulic line, pcm tuning, and pedals would be your costs...

$420 clutch, ~$60 mast cyl, free line/slave, no tuning needed, and pedals were like $75 for mine...of course i swapped the entire drivetrain out.Hanging the pedal was the PITA for me. im not sure a 5 spd would be up to the task of lasting very long with all that weight/power vs. the 6-spd though.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sleeper said:
clutch, master cylinder, hydraulic line, pcm tuning, and pedals would be your costs...

$420 clutch, ~$60 mast cyl, free line/slave, no tuning needed, and pedals were like $75 for mine...of course i swapped the entire drivetrain out.Hanging the pedal was the PITA for me. im not sure a 5 spd would be up to the task of lasting very long with all that weight/power vs. the 6-spd though.
how much for the transmission though? and how much work was it changing out all that shit? because my truck doesnt even have 15k miles, and i drove a honda civic 5 speed and i love manuals but i dont wanna goto the stealership and trade it in and get ripped, the truck if fully loaded and all it needs is a 5 or 6 spd

·
Registered
216 Posts
t-56's are quite expensive. for shits and giggles i asked jason cromer one day on the phone and he quoted me $2700 for one and i live about a hour and a half away from him so that was without shipping it. ive seen them go for 1200-1400 on ebay w/warranties generally...never priced a 5 spd though. not really a lot of work if you get the right tranny...mine would take a lil more custom stuff being an entirely different drivetrain in a truck that isnt a basis for LS1 derived motors to begin with. im swapping a motor as well..the tranny swap is a piece of cake.

you'd need a slave cylinder with a t56 and probably the hydraulic line from a 5spd 2500 truck like yours. the t56 is a few inches shorter than your auto, so might have to slide your crossmember up a lil and re-drill some bolt holes, this will also lead to a new driveshaft most likely...as for wiring there are only 3 plugs needed on a t56. 1's a VSS, another is Cags, and the last i cant remember.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sleeper said:
t-56's are quite expensive. for shits and giggles i asked jason cromer one day on the phone and he quoted me $2700 for one and i live about a hour and a half away from him so that was without shipping it. ive seen them go for 1200-1400 on ebay w/warranties generally...never priced a 5 spd though. not really a lot of work if you get the right tranny...mine would take a lil more custom stuff being an entirely different drivetrain in a truck that isnt a basis for LS1 derived motors to begin with. im swapping a motor as well..the tranny swap is a piece of cake.

you'd need a slave cylinder with a t56 and probably the hydraulic line from a 5spd 2500 truck like yours. the t56 is a few inches shorter than your auto, so might have to slide your crossmember up a lil and re-drill some bolt holes, this will also lead to a new driveshaft most likely...as for wiring there are only 3 plugs needed on a t56. 1's a VSS, another is Cags, and the last i cant remember.
Alright so if I get a t-56 it will bolt right up to my 6.0L and the transfer case will bolt right up to the tranny? and then theres like 5 or 6 parts that i would need to install with that? What about my clutser, because it doesnt say how many miles are on it until i put it in drive and start moving, what do i do about that? I really really wanna do this swap, I have all the tools to do it, and my dad is a total hick and he knows everything i could ever imagine about cars so I wont need to pay someone to do this (thank god haha) but ok, lemme get this straight...

The parts I need are...

T-56 Tranny
clutch
master cylinder
hydraulic line
pcm tuning
pedals
possibly new drive shaft?

and then the price should be like 3500-ish?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
yeah looks right, i would definatley use E-gay to get hte tranny, or buy one locally, i wouldnt buy one new 3500 seems like a lot, buy used parts, and save. only thinkg on that list i would buy new would be the clutch and lines.

junkyard is your friend

·
Registered
216 Posts
vettes are "trans axles" fbodies and vipers use t56's...f-bodies being the more commonly found. Ls1tech.com and LS1.com classifieds should have quite a few listed, keep checkin and like mentioned above...the junkyard is your friend.

i got my motor/tranny from ebay
pedals from a j-yard
mast cyl from jason cromer
clutch i got new from ls1tech.com group buy

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sleeper said:
vettes are "trans axles" fbodies and vipers use t56's...f-bodies being the more commonly found. Ls1tech.com and LS1.com classifieds should have quite a few listed, keep checkin and like mentioned above...the junkyard is your friend.

i got my motor/tranny from ebay
pedals from a j-yard
mast cyl from jason cromer
clutch i got new from ls1tech.com group buy
what about that ZF or whatever transmission that they talked about on fullsizechevy that was an option on the truck...would that be any cheaper or easier?

EDIT: i guess i NEED the ZF transmission, so is that going to be cheaper?

·
Registered
216 Posts
are you 4wd? im guessing so, you mentioned the transfer case. is this swap gonna be for performance(racing) or towing? i would imagine the ZF tranny would be geared a little steeper for towing apps if gm's lineup of trannies are comparable with dodge's NV series, but i dont know much about that ZF tranny.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sleeper said:
are you 4wd? im guessing so, you mentioned the transfer case. is this swap gonna be for performance(racing) or towing? i would imagine the ZF tranny would be geared a little steeper for towing apps if gm's lineup of trannies are comparable with dodge's NV series, but i dont know much about that ZF tranny.
yes its 4wd..and i just want it to have it...if its used for anything it will be towing, im hoping to get more HP but im not going for fast 1/4 mile times, i just want a manual.

·
Registered
216 Posts
a wrecked truck would be your best bet, i would assume those ZF's arent as expensive as T56's, but T56's are a lot more plentiful. i'd call around to some junkyards..they could possibly supply you with all that on your list if you get lucky and find a recnetly wrecked truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts