GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '06 Z71, would it be much of a bitch to switch from the current autotrac to manual 4wd activation or does it involve swapping out transfer cases also??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Need to swap the Tcase out. Then do some wiring to get the front diff actuator to work. Also wiring to get the truck to shift correctly while in low range.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not worth it then sounds like. i'll just deal with the electronic bs. thanks.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I'm curious: Why would you want to switch from electronic to manual? Does it not perform as well as you'd like, or are you worried that it might fail?

My electronic stuff has treated me well but I've never done serious off-roading...just whatever trails I manage to find around here.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious: Why would you want to switch from electronic to manual? Does it not perform as well as you'd like, or are you worried that it might fail?

My electronic stuff has treated me well but I've never done serious off-roading...just whatever trails I manage to find around here.
I pretty much use the truck the same as you. I guess with the trouble i'm currently having with the electronic just makes me miss the old manual shifter that never gave me issues in my old silvy's. I also don't like the fact of the switch not engaging if it's not working properly. Manual shifter is done by me, not an electronic signal. But, i'm stuck with it. So, once it's fixed hopefully it's reliable for me.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Very easy swap. Get a manual transfer case from a obs, it will bolt right up in place of the electric case. get the pigtail for vehicle speed sensor for an obs and splice it into the rear most vehicle speed sensor pigtail (purple and grey or green wire, I dont remember) then get a front posilock actuated cable to engage the front diff to make things easy, but you should only have to run 2 wires from the case to the front diff, though it could be a little more involved. I dont know if a front shaft from a obs will work or not but I think it will. Either way the case swap is easy, the wiring of the front diff may be a little harder

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
so if i could get the t case, linkage, and all wiring out of a truck for 75 bucks, would this be a good deal?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would do it, I bought my case alone for 150

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
You still have an electronic axle dissconnect regardless if you have a manual Tcase or not. Only way to be fully manual is to posi lock the front diff like another poster mentioned. We have a thread in the FAQ about this. It has lots of info. Search the FAQ under Transfer case.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
so this is probably a dumb question, but i'm having a hard time getting all this straight. If you swapped the front diffs (not t cases) between an autotrac and a manual shift 4x4, would the 4x4 not work in either?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
No. when you swap cases from electric to manual you need to rewired a few things to the shifter or keep your ole electric shift to make the trannzy know what range you are in and when to engage the front axle.

·
Powerstrokearmy.com
249 Posts
The diffs. are the same (as long as gearing is the same), swapped one out of a different truck into my 06 and it worked perfectly with the same T-Case. I am not sure what all would need to be done if T-cases were swapped though

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
yeah, i swapped mine, im running one from a manual truck, should it not be working?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
word. that question was for those guys. we swapped the diffs when we pulled the lift off jonathans truck since it was cut up and had a new bracket mounted to it.

so travis has a diff from a floor shift truck, but his truck is setup for autotrac

and jonathan has a diff from a autotrac truck with his floor shift setup.

who's 4wd is fucked?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was hoping there was a "plug n play" swap. Not interested in re-wiring a bunch of stuff to get it to work.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was hoping there was a "plug n play" swap. Not interested in re-wiring a bunch of stuff to get it to work.
Its an easy swap, even if it doesnt sound like it

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Swap the tcases. Get a fatory style floor shift and console. Once that is done then you need to have the front diff actuator turn on while in 4x4 mode. All the wiring is in the truck already you just may need need to change it. Go look at a manual shift tcase NBS and see how the harness runs from the diff to the shifter. I know on auto trac/electric shift models they have a Transfer Case Control Module that controls all of the functions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts