GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 50K, dealer replaced valve cover, fouled plugs with new valve cover design. At 75K, while on vacation, CEL came on, mechanic replaced plugs and wires. Just hit 120K and CEL came on. PO301 misfire code came up, dealer came up with PO175 and PO 172 code, replaced fuel injectors. $2200 later I picked it up and CEL came on again after driving 40 miles. Guess what, the PO300 code came up again and they replaced the valve cover and 1 fouled plug. Did I get hosed or do I need to cut my losses and sell it and get a new vehicle.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,155 Posts
Wait why did they replace all the injectors? Also if it should not have taken more than 2 hours and that is a huge buffer time frame. What else did they do that cost $2200?

And you are making it sound like 70k miles and having to fix some times is a huge deal and the truck is falling apart. Hell your current problem could be as easy as a dirty maf. No reason to jet pack the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a 2012 Avalanche 5.3. For $2200 they replaced 8 fuel injectors, said code was po172/po175. Still had the CEL light on. They said it was a poor fuel mix. Took it back the next day, then they did the same thing they did in 2016. They replaced the left valve cover and fouled plugs #1 and #7 it had code po300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait why did they replace all the injectors? Also if it should not have taken more than 2 hours and that is a huge buffer time frame. What else did they do that cost $2200?

And you are making it sound like 70k miles and having to fix some times is a huge deal and the truck is falling apart. Hell your current problem could be as easy as a dirty maf. No reason to jet pack the truck.
This is a 2012 Avalanche 5.3. For $2200 they replaced 8 fuel injectors, said code was po172/po175. Still had the CEL light on. They said it was a poor fuel mix. Took it back the next day, then they did the same thing they did in 2016. They replaced the left valve cover and fouled plugs #1 and #7 it had code po300.

·
Administrator
3,356 Posts
My 07 Burb has essentially the same engine as yours with 221,xxx miles on it and I just NOW replaced that left valve cover for the first time and my plugs go 100k miles or more without needing replaced so there's definitely something else at play here. I tend to agree with @ferraiolo1 with your issue probably being AFM. I tuned AFM out of my burb at around 135k miles and mine runs flawlessly with just the normal maintenance that I give her. I'd look at getting rid of that ASAP and see if that makes a noticeable difference for you. I had mine tuned out via a Blackbear tune but you can also tune it out via the Range device (Google it) if you just care about the AFM and don't want other performance gains that a Blackbear tune will give you.

Also, it sounds like your shop is taking you for a ride. Maybe go to a different shop if you can't perform some of the tasks yourself to see if things improve?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,155 Posts
Bad fuel mix is not going to fuck up all 8 injectors for 1. Bad fuel is going to affect how it runs. If there is shit in the fuel the filter is going to catch that. Sounds like they were throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gents, thanks for your help. I am ordering Range later today and meeting the service manager on Tue to demand a refund on the fuel injectors. If they wont work with me, I may go into my USMC bag of tricks and talk about someones mother. Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess is they never replaced the injectors
Gents, thanks for your help. I am ordering Range later today and meeting the service manager on Tue to demand a refund on the fuel injectors. If they wont work with me, I may go into my USMC bag of tricks and talk about someones mother. Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 07 Burb has essentially the same engine as yours with 221,xxx miles on it and I just NOW replaced that left valve cover for the first time and my plugs go 100k miles or more without needing replaced so there's definitely something else at play here. I tend to agree with @ferraiolo1 with your issue probably being AFM. I tuned AFM out of my burb at around 135k miles and mine runs flawlessly with just the normal maintenance that I give her. I'd look at getting rid of that ASAP and see if that makes a noticeable difference for you. I had mine tuned out via a Blackbear tune but you can also tune it out via the Range device (Google it) if you just care about the AFM and don't want other performance gains that a Blackbear tune will give you.

Also, it sounds like your shop is taking you for a ride. Maybe go to a different shop if you can't perform some of the tasks yourself to see if things improve?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Returned to dealer, they split cost 50/50 of original repair. I now have a store/parts/service credit and will probably get new tires this summer for my Tahoe and Avalanche. Hopefully a win-win!!!! Thanks for everyone's support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts