GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
They call me "Goose"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what the average lifespan of a 4L60E in a '00 Ex Cab Shortbed Silvy with a 4.8L should be. I bought a truck like this last saturday and on Thursday the trans took a crap. The odometer says 78k on it but I'm 100% positive that the cluster was swapped since I CarFax'd the truck and it had regular mileage increases that were documented all the way up til Oct. 03 at which point the truck had 139k on it. I bought it off a friend who had it for a few months and had to put a fuel pump and catylitic converter on it during the time he had it. He bought it off of a Mexican guy who seemed way too eager to sell it but I didn't find out about any of these issues until after I bought it from my friend, and my friend had no idea of these issues either. I'm thinking the truck probably has around 200k on it since the tranny just went out, but I'd still like to find out about how long most people's trans's will go before they need rebuilding/replacing. I can get a trans from my work (a junkyard) with 102k on it so I think I'll probably go that route, unless the lifespan numbers are a lot closer to 102k than I think they will be. Thanks for any help!

-Brent

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
my buddy's 00 went 220k miles on the stock trans. my brothers 96 went through 3 different 4L60Es within the first 140k miles. I wouldnt go with a used unit if i were you. I'd save up the extra cash and get a modified unit that would hold its ground a bit better. Also, a transmission cooler is added insurance.:shake:

·
They call me "Goose"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I can pick up the 102k trans from work for $550 and use a lift at work to swap it myself in half a day. If I take it to a shop they will have it for a week or so and it will cost $1500+ so thats why I'm leaning towards the used one

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
well I can pick up the 102k trans from work for $550 and use a lift at work to swap it myself in half a day. If I take it to a shop they will have it for a week or so and it will cost $1500+ so thats why I'm leaning towards the used one

Yeah, and you think the 100k one will last? Any clue if it was serviced often?

Check on ebay for some guys that can rebuild them. Hell there are local guys that do them for $450-550 for a standard rebuild around here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts