GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I noticed that my passenger rear area started to make some noise. It was loud enough to hear over my straight piped exhaust! So I rolled down my window to listen more closely and it sounds like I am dragging tin cans. I don't think its the brakes because it makes the noise when they're applied also. It occurs intermittently but worries me. Also it will make the noise at slight or full throttle. Also the axle is of course the stock 10 bolt with G80, I know bad idea, and was rebuilt and regeared 6 months ago.
So what do you guys think? Wheel bearing?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Almost sounds like it could be the u-joint. They may not have replaced them during the rebuild. Pop off the driveshaft at the axle and rotate the u-joint to see if it moves around easy. If not, replace both on the driveshaft. If they seem good, it could be a wheel bearing. Might be worth taking it back to the place that rebuilt it. If anything, they can tell you what they think it may be.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
^^^ Sounds like a ujoint to me too ^^^

Check em' out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll give them a look.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Ujoint possibly, check for excess slack.
If its a wheel bearing you gotta remove diff cover, remove c clip, remove axle. use a puller to take out the cylinder bearing, replace. reinstall reverse of removal.
when i regeare i replace everything. all what was reuses was c clips, and axle shafts all bearings were replaced along with the g80

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got done checking the u-joints, they were both good still. I guess its the wheel bearing then. I don't have mess with actual gears when I take out the axle do I?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, I fix it this weekend then. Will I damage anything driving around with a bad bearing for the rest of this week?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
fuck up the seal. and possibly the shaft, but youd have to drive for thousands of miles imo. do some diagnosing b4 you change crap. :read: it might be brake related

1 - 9 of 9 Posts