GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I realize the HP Dana 60 is what everyone recommends for a SAS. Now the reason i hear most often is because the strength of the 60 plus the hp which eases pinion angle. Well say i was to not run a very big lift so i wouldnt necessarily have to worry so much about the pinion angle...I would assume i could use a Dana60 or possibly a dana50? Seems like a front Dana50 from a ford is alot easier to find/cheaper than a HP60....will that axle work and what are the draw backs as opposed to the 60? can you use 35 spline shafts...etc..?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
With the 50 you basically get a d60 ring and pinion but d44 sized steering joints... Plus it's ball joint and I just absolutely do not like ball joints...

As for 35 spline stubs, I believe Superior is making them for the Unit Bearing ford stuff but there way expensive. And thats another thing, Unit Bearings, the whole outter hub is one piece and costs a ton if you need to replace it as an older axle you can replace the small parts seperately.

Also, all Ford axles are high pinion... 50, 44, 60 whatever. If you want a low pinion it's going to be pass. diff GM or Dodge. I'd go for an HP44 out of a 78-79 F250 and run that.

The point of the high pinion to me was to keep the drive shaft out of harms way. I never hit it whereas the guys I run with that have GM 60's drag there shafts on everything.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
if you want to save some cash, a beefed up dana 44 isnt a bad setup. this is the route i was gonna go on my 95. they are cheap and easily available to. i was never gonna do CRAZY shit with mine, just wanted a capable reliable 4x4. with not running alot of lift, you have to worry about your axle hitting the crossmember in the front under suspension compression. i have a buddy running 4" or 6" springs :think: i cant remember off hand... but his pumpkin hits when he articulates in the front.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the HP44 out of a 78-79 wasnt BJ? Is every new front axle going to be unit bearing? As far as the HP44 would the buildup be cheaper than a HP60? I finally have a job and money is coming in so the wheels are turning....just slowly.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i may do that lowred...I only wanna run about 6-8inches of lift max then cutouts try to keep my COG low but still have clearance. Prob run a 37 maybe 38.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
all of the dana 44s i have seen are balljoint. you dont have to worry about those stupid kingpins.... i used to have an axle hunters guide. but since i sold my 4x4 i have misplaced it.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
As far as I know, the Dana 50 was only used in '99+ Ford Superduty trucks. I wouldnt use any front axle from a Superduty, because the goofy-ass 8 on 170mm metric lug pattern. Unless you also got a 10.5" Sterling rear out of a Superduty, you would not have matching lug patterns front and rear.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea...i totally forgot about that. Damn...now i just need my cousin to total his superduty.hehe not really...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
For your case I would go a 78-79 44 like jason said, they are significantly cheaper and still easy to find. Make sure to get an 8 lug one so you match the rear. I would do a 14 bolt in the back. When it comes time to start working give me a call Im pretty good at working on 14 bolts now!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im saving cash at the moment. A 14 bolt rear is in order...im pretty sure i can get a semifloat 8 lug with 4.56 dics from a 2k chevy with 60k on the truck. However i think about it and what is the point of going semifloat if i cant keep the 6 lug? So ill prob start shopping around for a 14 bolt by the end of the month. I know until i have a different daily driver im going to keep this sane I.E. 37ish size so as to not get horrible gas mileage....so that makes me want to just go the 44 route...at the same time i know once i have a dd i will want to go bigger and have the 60. Im still debating things and weighing options at this point...i know if i save i can have a SAS completely done in 4-6 months. like i said...just thinking.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
if you get a 3/4 ton dana 44 you will have 8 lugs in the front as well. you can also swap the 3/4 stuff to a regular dana 44

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Since you basically mud your truck and dont plan anything over a 38" tire, you will be fine with a 3/4ton front. Im putting a 14ff 1 ton in the rear and a 3/4ton 10 bolt in front on mine.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I wouldn't be as worried about the strength of the front axel compared to that of the rear. I will prob put a 14 bolt out back sometime...and I have actually considered regearing the front 10 bolt because it doens't take as much abuse as the rear...and its not like im really gonna be runnin huge tires anytime soon or buildin my engine up all that much. One day I will run 3/4 ton or one ton stuff in the front...but I think for now I can get away with what I have...

·
Registered
229 Posts
ill say what ive always say, when i had 3/4 ton running gear, i was fixing something after every trip, u joint, stub, something always broke!!! i havent had to replace anything on my one ton running gear yet, and ive had it for over a year. i thought i was going to be happy with 3/4 ton since i was only running a 36" tire, but i was wrong. just my 2 cents.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
96chevysfa said:
ill say what ive always say, when i had 3/4 ton running gear, i was fixing something after every trip, u joint, stub, something always broke!!! i havent had to replace anything on my one ton running gear yet, and ive had it for over a year. i thought i was going to be happy with 3/4 ton since i was only running a 36" tire, but i was wrong. just my 2 cents.
The rear will be a 1ton 14ff with disc conversion, but the front is just a 3/4ton 10 bolt 8 lug. Were you breaking stuff from the front 3/4t diff? if so what?
Im getting these as a package deal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
TexK5 said:
The rear will be a 1ton 14ff with disc conversion, but the front is just a 3/4ton 10 bolt 8 lug. Were you breaking stuff from the front 3/4t diff? if so what?
Im getting these as a package deal.
i never had a single problem with the rear, but the front 10 bolt, i broke 3 u joints, 1 stub, 1 inner, 1 hub and the spiders. it was just too much of a headach to deal with.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
He also jumps his shit and all... keep that in mind.
Hmmm, well what little offroading I plan (no dune jumping or rock crawling just mud) I think I will be fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts