GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this themselves? I figure there can't be much to it but I'd like to see how before I tear into my light bar.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What does this mean? Lol I'm lost.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are you like wanting to put light behind the bar so you can see a light behind it when it's not on(or on)?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea. I'm wanting to put green on one side of it and red on the other to clean up the front of my boat. Sounds weird but I think it will look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea. I'm wanting to put green on one side of it and red on the other to clean up the front of my boat. Sounds weird but I think it will look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks like you just unscrew the frame holding in the lens then remove the reflectors and stick the led strips around the perimeter of the housing. Then drill a new hole for the wires and seal it up with a rubber grommet. Put the reflectors back in, lens on, and tighten down the frame. You could also do it without removing the reflectors but i think it would look cleaner if you do.

Depending on the size of the boat you will have certain requirements for your navigation lights. Assuming the boat is less than 39 feet, the red and green lights need to span 112.5 degrees each way from the center of the boat or 22.5 degrees abaft the beam. The light also needs to be visible from 2 nautical miles away. It is a good concept to incorporate the nav lights into the led bar but it wouldn't really work, I think the Coast Guard or a harbormaster would give you a hard time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts