GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways sometimes I go to stop and the pedal will have brake pressure and then it will just sink to the floor. I've always noticed that my brakes are not very tight and tend to have alot of play. I could just have no front brakes from pullin my 16ft. trailer around once a week but someone told me it is probably the brake booster? What are some common signs of booster wear or failure? Trucks been giving me all kinds of problems lately :bawl:

I appreciate yalls help, as always

·
The Dude
505 Posts
When the booster on my ZR2 went bad, the truck was extremely difficult to stop, and it took alot of force to get the pedal down, like I had no more power brakes, which in reality it didn't. If the booster is bad it usually isn't spongy one day and not the next. Mine was constantly shitty and got progressively worse. Check front pads and rear shoes, maybe adjust the rear if needed and bleed the shit out of all 4 corners. If it doesn't get any better you may have a master cylinder problem. Good luck

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
Maybe a leaking brake line? In the 96 s-10 i had a brake line burst for the front brakes, the pedal went right to the floor. The rears worked but they were drum. That was fun on the way home.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I think alot of the wear is from1. putting on the lift with the 35's and new wheels and 2. pulling this 16ft trailer loaded down with mowers for the past year and a half constantly. but lately even without it I go to stop and all the sudden the pedal goes to the floor, its a bitch to stop. Ima check the shoes/pads this weekend and bleed the brakes. Then ill go ahead and order a new brake booster. I wouldn't think its just the pads/shoes. This shit isn' safe..

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I definitely have had a huge decrease in braking power over the 5 years I've had the truck. hopefully a new booster will actaully make em' tighten up a bit.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay well I guess its a hit or miss because my symptoms match what you originally said about the booster,but I hope its cheaper whichever one i choose!

·
Registered
177 Posts
bleed all the way around and if its still really soft pedal and no brakes and no leaks...master cylinder

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
My vote goes to the master cylinder.....
Look on your rear tires to see if there is anykind of fluid on them. If there is, you may have had a wheel cylinder go south on you..... but first, check to see if you have lost any brake fluid...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts