GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday my 2014 sierra started clicking around the front left wheel while driving straight. I initially thought maybe it was a rock, anyone else have issues with cv joints? It only has 50k miles and about 3000 miles ago I put on bilstein 5100s on the first notch with a motofab 2" lower strut leveling kit with 275/60r18s. Is this really something I'll have to deal with every 3000 miles?

20190908_120923.jpg

20190908_120936.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
You’re not going to like this but here you go

Your angles are slanted and not straight

My angles are completely straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
You have a lift. He has a level. Thank you Captain Obvious.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pictures are stated as a reference on proper angles and not intended to discuss differences between Lifts and Levels, shouldn’t rush to conclusions as it couldn’t be anymore obvious then that lol.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
Pictures are stated as a reference on proper angles and not intended to discuss differences between Lifts and Levels, shouldn’t rush to conclusions as it couldn’t be anymore obvious then that lol.

But his angles aren't bad at all for a level. CV looks good and his upper arm is nowhere near the droop. I think it's the camera angle. Yes we know he should have bought a CST lift and got the free hat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
But his angles aren't bad at all for a level. CV looks good and his upper arm is nowhere near the droop. I think it's the camera angle. Yes we know he should have bought a CST lift and got the free hat.

You’re really hung up on CST and their memorabilia, let’s stick to OP’s post and leave your fascination with CST out of it. His angles are tilting which obviously shows bad angles. Being leveled doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have bad angles, over stretching a level will do that. He’s on a level and cranked 5100’s

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
Tilting.

/thread

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
1st notch on 5100s is less than a half inch. He has less than a 2.5in level

Not “cranked”

His cv angles are fine as you can see by how the rubber boot pleats are sitting.

The noise could be coming from the upper nut on the 5100s not properly torqued.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1st notch on 5100s is less than a half inch. He has less than a 2.5in level

Not “cranked”

His cv angles are fine as you can see by how the rubber boot pleats are sitting.

The noise could be coming from the upper nut on the 5100s not properly torqued.

Tilting

Not tilting

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
That’s fine and dandy. But you do realize that ball joint is far from maxed out right? If it was maxed out it would be leaning the other direction. Those UCAs are designed for 3.5in of spacer lift.

So he is perfectly fine there.

He did a leveling kit the proper way.

He actually has more down travel than you do ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
That’s fine and dandy. But you do realize that ball joint is far from maxed out right? If it was maxed out it would be leaning the other direction. Those UCAs are designed for 3.5in of spacer lift.

So he is perfectly fine there.

He did a leveling kit the proper way.

He actually has more down travel than you do ;)

Interesting, in other chats you yourself have mentioned that being leveled at 2.5” has been known to cause the same issues he’s brought up. And as far as more travel, I’m not interested in more travel and besides, not the one having issues as I’m sure neither are you because everything is as it should be, flat and straight.

Good luck OP!

·
Super Moderator
5,617 Posts
I never once said 2.5in levels cause issues. Other than a decrease in down travel. Which he solved by buying higher travel ucas. I have said anything more than 2.5in is a bad idea.

He has plenty of clearance between his droop stop and his ball joint maxing out.

He replied in his other thread it happens when the wheel is Turing. My guess is hub or cv.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,846 Posts
May be an old man emu suspension

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, got home and decided to risk it by driving the half mile to the mechanic vs waiting on a tow. About 500 ft from the shop I heard a pop like something fell off, but was happy when my wheel was still on and the clicking went away. Turns out some how my center cap got loose and was making the noise didnt even think to check that.

·
Some dude on the internet
274 Posts
Well, got home and decided to risk it by driving the half mile to the mechanic vs waiting on a tow. About 500 ft from the shop I heard a pop like something fell off, but was happy when my wheel was still on and the clicking went away. Turns out some how my center cap got loose and was making the noise didnt even think to check that.
Lol, good find man. I had a similar issue on a Tundra that was kicking my ass many years ago. Went on a test drive with a coworker and that bitch flew off on the highway. Noise gone. Palm to face.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts