GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 09 1/2 ton and just put on 20's. Came stock with 18's. When i step on the brake Sometimes get a bad vibration. Any help?? Thanks

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
This is a very common problem.
Take off your back wheels, you'll have lil o-clips holding on the drum brake covers. Take close clips off. These clips are just to hold the drum cover to the drum brakes itself during factory assembly. These are fine to take off.

Factory rims have a counter bore to miss these, most aftermarket rims do not, thus your rim isn't seated flush & vibrates.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a z71 with 4x4 with towing package. does that matter??? thanks

G

·
Yup. It'll take you longer to pull your wheels off and put em back on than it does to yank these clips. I always used a pair of dikes when I worked at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
This is a very common problem.
Take off your back wheels, you'll have lil o-clips holding on the drum brake covers. Take close clips off. These clips are just to hold the drum cover to the drum brakes itself during factory assembly. These are fine to take off.

Factory rims have a counter bore to miss these, most aftermarket rims do not, thus your rim isn't seated flush & vibrates.
:word:

Don't feel bad. Trust me, you are not the first person to do it, and will not be last. You probably didn't even know about them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hanks will it also cause a vibration whole driving too? It is small but def there. It happens at all diff speeds. But mostly around 75 80 mph!!!!

Also do I just leave the cover off after??? Thank you guys

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep the cover off????

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
what all these guys said

there should probably be 2 of em. i use a flat head at work and you can almost unscrew them just enough to slip the flat head behind it and bend em out. once you get it in there just pry and they brake off. where did you get em installed?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Town fair tire. Two on each side?? Will they take them off for me?

G

·
Had to go diggin in my photobucket for this picture. I drew little green arrows towards the brake clips. They could be at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I had the same problem.....for a fucking year...until i got on here and they told me what was up....fucking idiot shop who put my wheels on should have known.....but...they didnt...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts