GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GMC Owner
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new BAER rotors put on... drilled on slotted woot. $122 from AutoZone.

and then today i found out my water pump is leaking.
how hard is that to fix yourself? local shop quoted $155 for parts/labor to have a new one installed. How much do the parts cost usually? anyone know?

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
67.26 -reman
118.09- new

just got these prices from Auto Value, to give you an idea

water pump isn't hard to do, this is what alldata says to do

WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
Coolant from the radiator. See: Service and Repair
Upper fan shroud. See: Fan Shroud\Service and Repair
Drive belt. See: Engine\Drive Belt\Service and Repair
Fan, fan clutch, and pulley from the coolant pump. See: Fan Clutch\Service and Repair
Lower radiator (outlet) hose and heater hose from the coolant pump.
Bolts.
Water pump from the engine block.
Clean mating surfaces on the water pump and the engine block.

INSTALL OR CONNECT
Water pump to the engine block.
New gaskets.
Bolts.
Tighten bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) .
Lower radiator (outlet) hose and heater hose to the water pump.
Water pump pulley, fan, and fan clutch to the coolant pump hub.
Drive belt.
Upper fan shroud.
Start the engine and run, with the radiator cap removed, until the upper radiator hose becomes hot (thermostat is open).
Add coolant to the radiator until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck.
Engine must be running at idle speed.
Radiator cap, making sure the arrows line up with the overflow tube.
Check for leaks.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Napa has a remanufactured one for 41 and change, 63 for a new one according to their website. Not hard to change. 4 mounting bolts and 2 gaskets. The hardest part is getting to it. You have to remove the belt and fan and probably the top radiator shroud. If you are decent with tools, should have it done in under 2 hours or so.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
Napa has a remanufactured one for 41 and change, 63 for a new one according to their website. Not hard to change. 4 mounting bolts and 2 gaskets. The hardest part is getting to it. You have to remove the belt and fan and probably the top radiator shroud. If you are decent with tools, should have it done in under 2 hours or so.
correct, its generally easy, u will need the water pump gaskets too, but pull off the upper fan shroud, then the belt, which u just release tension on the tensioner to get it off then your fan, which is 4 bolts, then the pump that is 4 bolts, or and drain it first, which is on the bottom passenger side of the radiator i beleive,

also get a t-stat while u have it drained, cheap insurance IMO

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
but thats what theyre designed for right? to last really long without having to be turned
they're designed for performance, to cool themselves and help you brake faster, if anything, I'd say they will wear out faster than regular rotors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts