GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up onboard air in my truck and id like to use the 7 gallon portable tank that I already have.

It has one hole in it, It has a manifold on it that has 2 ports and a gauge, I plan on pulling the gage and running 1/8" into the cab to have the gauge in there.

The problem is this manifold has a stupid tire valve stem type valve on it, I think i can get it out of there and i can hook the hose from my compressor directly to there for the fill.

I am assuming I need some type of check valve then right? so the tank stays full?

Where would be the best place to get one, also where could i find a manifold incase when i start to tackle this project i can't get that gay valve out of the manifold.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
what kind of compressor are you going to run? viairs compressors come with built in check valves. pictures of your tank would help if you got'em.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will use a viar eventually but for now I am running the mf-1050 til I can afford it. Those compressors are very common with the offroad community and run well, It may have a check valve already i never thought of that. ill have to try pumping it up and try it.

I am going to go dick around with what I have right now and get back to you with pictures and such.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nevermind the pictures, I have to run a tap thru cause the threads are different on the compressor head than the standard npt thread. I read about this on another forum so no big deal. I just have to find the tap & die set. Also I think I am just going to run a 1/2" to 1/4" T with another 1/4" T on the end of one side, that will give me a hook up for fill, discharge, and a gauge.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill do a full write up on this install later but for now heres what I have.

I have the compressor running to that tank, but I took off the stock top for the tank, put a 1/2" to 1/4" adapter, then a 1/4" t and hooked the input hose into one end, and hooked another 1/4" t into the other end.

Off of that T I have a gauge on one side, and a quick connect for a hose on the other.

I am using it just to hold a little extra air so the pump doesn't have to do it all, I am going to use it to fill up tires, air mattresses, tubes, that sort of thing. and eventually I am going to hook some train horns onto it.

The MF-1050 fills that 7 gallon tank from 0 to 100psi in about 5 mins. Pretty good if you ask me for a $50 compressor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts