GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea may justbe totally out in left field, but I was wondering if it would be possible....

Could you bag a truck on say 33" tires. I know you would be looking at over 15" of travel on the setup. But I think it would be the best of both worlds. If you could have air bags and a lifted truck...

To step it up a notch it would be killer if you could lay frame while tucking the 33s... If you went with a fiberglass fender replacement this would be a looottt easier.

Just curious if anyone had heard of something like this...

I've love the look and performance of a bagged truck, BUT I ocasionally have to some slight offroading. And I figure this set up would pretty much be one of a kind.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
sure its doable but its $$$$$$$$$ you would need longer control arms etc... to get that much travel
 

·
Line-X of San Antonio
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
if you pulled it off, youd need some 26" rims to go with it :imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
If you are talking about the rear end only...

Yes it's possible. There are probably 6-8 trucks in Fresno that are lifted with bags in the rear. Most of the trucks have 38" tires or larger. Twisted suspensions has an actual kit that adds air bags to the rear and replaces the leaf springs.

Zuby has a really good friend with an air bag setup. His friends truck has a 12-14" suspension, 3" body, 40's on 20's with bags in the rear.

I'm sure zuby will comment on it.

Here is a 2wd truck with the airbag kit on it. 12" suspension, 3" body on 38's. He might have a spindle lift too. Done by twisted suspensions in Fresno.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured the fenders would be a big problem... One solution that I came up with would be to have a dump bed and something like a dump bed on the front. So that the whole front clip would swing forward when layed out.

26" rims would be some monsters!

It would be guaranteed to get Lots of Double take Looks. :think:

Just thought I'd pick your brains a little. Stimulation is good :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
i really doubt the kit is funtional...

it's probably ok for street, but if was abused off road I'd be afraid of popping a bag

all of the trucks i've seen driving around seem to be doing fine with it.
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
I reread this a few times.

1. Are you serious?

2. If so, :wtf:



If you want to lay frame you need a street truck. A truck on 33's laying frame with fiberglass fenders would definately be unique...but so would painting it pink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
klemmentine said:
This pretty cool looking, but I was thinking all the way around.

BTW... Do I see troll hair in that truck. :nono:
Thought it looked good till I saw that and lost all respect. :pow:
I do like the building in the back ground though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Y2KSierra said:
I reread this a few times.

1. Are you serious?

2. If so, :wtf:



If you want to lay frame you need a street truck. A truck on 33's laying frame with fiberglass fenders would definately be unique...but so would painting it pink.
Hehe... Figured I would get a few comments like that. There was a pink truck on here a while back... Think it was ford though :(

Actually I don't figure anything like it will ever come about, but figured the idea may have potential for some one that wants to go a little crazy. :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
None of the trucks that are bagged can "lay frame". They all have a good 10" or so of up/down travel. So when the bags are aired down, they sit cali style about 3-4", and when they are aired up, they have a 4-6" rake on them.

If you want to lay frame, it'll look rediculous with huge wide flares. And I don't even know how you would do the front. You can't use the bag like a coil, because the cv's are in the way. And if you keep your torsion bars, you wouldn't have hardly any travel. I think you would have to tuck the bag up into the fender somewhere, and use a cantilever setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
klemmentine said:
None of the trucks that are bagged can "lay frame". They all have a good 10" or so of up/down travel. So when the bags are aired down, they sit cali style about 3-4", and when they are aired up, they have a 4-6" rake on them.

If you want to lay frame, it'll look rediculous with huge wide flares. And I don't even know how you would do the front. You can't use the bag like a coil, because the cv's are in the way. And if you keep your torsion bars, you wouldn't have hardly any travel. I think you would have to tuck the bag up into the fender somewhere, and use a cantilever setup.
It would be nearly impossible to pull off on a 4x4. Unless you moved the engine or something crazy like that. (Kind of like Jesse James did on the Monster Garage with the wheelie ambulance.) 4x2 be a much better cantidate in this case.
 

·
Pink Bear Man...
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Ive seen a Black OBS with a SFA lifted like 18 inches on 44's, it sat well above the tires and then he hit the switches and lited that bitch up. It was BAD! I wish i still had the video
 

·
RIP Jason
Joined
·
4,089 Posts
You can bag the front of a 4wd but it some weird ass setup and i would never trust it. When you air up you would have some mad camber.

My friend with the blue twisted truck doesn't have problems with his bags offroad. Only thing is one of the bags kind of leak but that really doesn't have anything to do with that.

It's cool but i don't think i'd ever do it. I'd rather just run coilovers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
Yeah, it is a very weird setup. I think it's called a cantilever or something. The bag would be tucked into the fender and a lever would attach to the upper arm. So when the bags are aired down, the lever will give, which would make the arms sag, and drop the front end down. And when they are aired up, the lever will put force onto the upper arm and will lift the front end up. Like zuby said, I wouldn't really trust this setup.

When I see bagged lower trucks driving around, you can tell they have horrible camber issues. When they are aired up, they tow way out, and when they are aired down, they tow way in. Now add a 35" or larger offroad tire to this equation, and you will have a heck of a time keeping the front end aligned, and it would be a bitch to steer if had the bags aired up or down all the way. Not to mention you will absolutely murder your cv joints!

I would stay away from bagging the front. The rear is cool. I bet it might actually help with towing.

A solid front axle is a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
nafortin said:
I figured the fenders would be a big problem... One solution that I came up with would be to have a dump bed and something like a dump bed on the front. So that the whole front clip would swing forward when layed out.
DUMP BED...YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT...

nafortin said:
26" rims would be some monsters!
:gay: :puke:

nafortin said:
It would be guaranteed to get Lots of Double take Looks.
you'd get a ton of "WTF WAS THAT THING" looks...dump bed front/rear on 26s with 33s layin frame....:crazy:

nafortin said:
It would be nearly impossible to pull off on a 4x4. Unless you moved the engine or something crazy like that. (Kind of like Jesse James did on the Monster Garage with the wheelie ambulance.) 4x2 be a much better cantidate in this case.
seriously there should be a law stating that you can only make suggestions if they are going to be intelligent ones...why the hell would havin 4x4 (especially on your IFS) make you have to move the motor to the rear of the truck if you actually did want to bag it....

nafortin said:
BTW... Do I see troll hair in that truck. :nono:
Thought it looked good till I saw that and lost all respect. :pow:
I know I'd respect a bagged dump bed truck on 26s on 33s with the motor in the rear off-roading much much more....


nafortin said:
I do like the building in the back ground though!
:think:

bagging a 4x4 is a good topic but you are goin about it the totally wrong way...take these guys advice and seriously dude you have enough posts on this forum to not make comments that make you sound ridiculous...

(disclaimer: sorry for comin off like an ass but OMG there is only so much that one can take)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I know I know...but like i said...there is just so much that one can take...ive always wanted to bag a lifted truck...but...well ill just shutup now before i get in trouble...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
I hope it has a full roll cage, 'cause I would roll that thing over
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top