GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, im torn between bagging my obs or doing a 4/6 on it. If I were to do it I would do it myself with my dads help. Now he would be doing most of the welding and he doesnt like the idea of chopping into the frame and also has a problem with me not being able to use it. If I had it bagged(not sure about laying frame yet but pretty close) could I still be able to drive on the beach, go over regular things like bumps and stuff plus be able to tow boats, fourwheelers, etc..(heavy stuff but not too heavy). Im not going to skimp on install or parts so which do yall think I need to do and still be able to use it? Thnx

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
A 4/6 would be more pratical for what you're wanting to use the truck for, but you'd still probally want to use helper bags in the rear (around $250 for a kit.) It can still be used as a truck if bagged also though, I wouldn't cut a hole in the bed though and I'd get larger bags than 2600 lbs. If you have some thick tires then ya don't have to worry about potholes really, but if you're goin with 20's on low pros then you're gonna have to do some swurvin. Also if it was bagged you could get over obstacles alot easier than if it was dropped 4/6.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
:word:

4/6 is low for a daily driver. It is not a bad drop at all as long as you know you are low and where to be careful. I drove a 4/8 for months on low pros...it was insanely low and i loved it. I just watched out for bumps and potholes and made sure to be careful. I would say if you can bag it now...go ahead and don't waste your money on the 4/6.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright, I went to art's site and the price is tba. Im also wanting 20s but might just end up with 18's. With that air bar do I have to cut into anything in the bed at all? I want to load up my 4wheeler in there so I could probably do with a notch but not a huge one. Also I would like to play around with it so would that also be possible?

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
if u do the 4/6, you'll just want to go lower neway, so if u got the money, go ahead and bag it. put a set of heavier bags in the back, and you'll be good to go for what u want to do. as far as dring on the beach.... in low pros, id be careful. got my s-10 stuck several times on some wide 55 series tires, bout buried the axle once. and now that my fullsize has a 4/6, it stays on road as much as possible. it wont take much to put the frame in the sand, or nething else for that matter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will I have many problems with 18s and a pretty fat tire? Also again will I have to cut the bed at all with the ART Stuff?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
you don't HAVE to cut the bed, no matter what setup you use. cutting the bed just allows you to run a step notch to lay the truck out. And no, you should be cool with 18's and a meaty tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone have pictures of a OBS with a 4/6 drop? Im debating the same thing as jakob, but I do not intend to haul things or cut my bed. Id like to stay away from cuttin my bed, just because I dont feel like putting in a step notch. What do people think about Belltech's 6' flip kit? If I bag it later on Im going to need it anyways so I figured Im better off just doing a static 4/6 drop right now since it is 2/4 right now. Oh by the way its a 93' OBS ECSB. . . And I love it! :head:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I would go with the Air Ride Tech Air Bar as suggested. I believe the one for OBS uses the belltech C-notch. No cutting of the bed required, just trimming of the bed supports, I believe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
xtreme93fullsize said:
Anyone have pictures of a OBS with a 4/6 drop? Im debating the same thing as jakob, but I do not intend to haul things or cut my bed. Id like to stay away from cuttin my bed, just because I dont feel like putting in a step notch. What do people think about Belltech's 6' flip kit? If I bag it later on Im going to need it anyways so I figured Im better off just doing a static 4/6 drop right now since it is 2/4 right now. Oh by the way its a 93' OBS ECSB. . . And I love it! :head:
im not sure about the air over leaf set up, but from the way your wording this i get the impression u think u need the flip kit when goin to bags, and u dont. you'll be runnin a 4 link so you will be ditchin the springs all together

·
Registered
57 Posts
is ART a pretty reliable company? How hard of an install are we looking at here? is the triangulated or the parallel 4 link better. I have been toying with the idea and wasn't sure what was favorable. I don't really tow much just stuff every now and then, but in reality which one is more fun to play with?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah i got one in the mail they are working on a new air bar for the OBS so it's just sitting and waiting for them if anyone wants to go this way

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
moose54 said:
is ART a pretty reliable company? How hard of an install are we looking at here? is the triangulated or the parallel 4 link better. I have been toying with the idea and wasn't sure what was favorable. I don't really tow much just stuff every now and then, but in reality which one is more fun to play with?
ART is about as reliable as you can get when it comes to air suspension. I'm not sure of the difficulty with the install, but it should be a pretty strait forward bolt on installation. I'd go with the parellel link since running a triangulated setup would require you to move your gas tank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts