GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did some searching on this forum for bagged Sierra's that are 2WD and also utilize the factory torsion bar front setup. I found some information that helped but not much. Plus, a lot of the threads were at least 2 - 3 years old. All of the pictures I found were also gone as well. So, what is all involved in bagging a 2WD front end that uses the torsion bar setup? Are there any companies out there making a conversion kit or? From what I have read, the front end setup on my truck is also the same that the Tahoe's use as well. So I would think any kit for them should also work for me. Thoughts? Input?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look for info on a Tahoe or Escalade thats been bagged. They have torsion bar front ends.
Any specific year(s)? I was really hoping someone would have some pictures of that front end bagged so I can see how it was fab'd up. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
ive seen a guy use bags before with a torsion bar setup but why go through trouble when you can just rip out the torsion bar setup and use the front as like a blank canvas. free to do it how you please and allot simpler

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just rip out the torsion bar setup and use the front as like a blank canvas. free to do it how you please and allot simpler
Ya, that's what I was hoping for so that's good to hear. I still would like to see a few different setups with torsion bars being used and also custom built from scratch like you said though. Just for ideas sake.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
the torsion bars get removed if you fully bag the front. instead of torsion bars, you will have bags. you have the option of running a shock depending on how strong/thick the bags are.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the torsion bars get removed if you fully bag the front. instead of torsion bars, you will have bags.
Well, that's what I was wondering about with the front setup. I thought the torsions got removed completely however from some of the replies, it sounded like they could stay if preferred. That's why I wanted to see pictures.
I would still like to see some custom front setup pic's with all of the torsion setup removed and a completely one off done on there. I'm thinking about running a Shockwave type setup so it would be great to see that already done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you keep the bars, you are not gonna lay frame or get much lift
Ya, I'm not going to run the torsion bars but was just curious how others had mocked everything up with them still in place.
I also just got back from taking a look under my truck. Looks easier to bag than a standard coil spring setup because the spring is obviously already gone and all that is left are the upper and lower arms in place once the bars are removed. My question is, will a standard front " bag kit" work just the same with this truck than with a coil sprung style truck? I'm assuming the arms are in the same location and angle and all. Is there anything else I need to be aware of that maybe I'm not noticing after removing the torsion bars?

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
tahoe shockwave kit should bolt in, im actually doing shockwaves for performance reasons

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tahoe shockwave kit should bolt in, im actually doing shockwaves for performance reasons
Ya, that would be my reasoning as well. I've already had a standard bag/cup setup on my 99' S-10 and am looking for something a little different. This time I want to run swaybars, shockwaves and a smaller valve, line setup. By the way, what is the largest line size a shockwave can accept? And are there different size shockwaves like bags have? This type of bag/shock combo is new to me. Thanks!

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
shockwaves only have about 4" of travel and they run off 1/4" line

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shockwaves only have about 4" of travel and they run off 1/4" line
Ya, that's what I thought, thanks.
So I take it they don't have larger or smaller size Shockwaves for different applications?
I saw on a site that they do have a double or single adjustable Shockwave? What exactly are you adjusting with that?

·
Registered
148 Posts
for the shockwave, it's better to put the shockwave bag between the arms, then you need to make the mount in LCA and make ext to mount the other end on your frame. and as far as I seen they don't lay out much.

for basic front setup, you can take torsion bar/keys out.
make the plate on lca to bag to sit, then put the top bag plate prob between the UCA that's how seen done on the 4wd tahoe. shocks can be relocated to the front.

if you need the pics PM me on that or read teh 4x4 bagged section I have posted few stuff on it with pics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts