GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends and everything really on my truck. I was wondering, on the end/bottom of them it has a little, almost like a vent, valve or something. i think i have heard it called a "zerk" or soemthin like that. what is that, and how do i pack the joints full of grease. Also what type of grease should i use.

Thanks
and sorry if the description is a little vague.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
yeah that would be a zerk...

you take a grease gun, preferably with grease in it, put the end of the hose on the zerk (it fits), then pump the g un and it fills the joint or whatever with grease. I usually go till I see fresh grease come out somewhere.

chassis grease is what I usually call it, comes in tubes for guns. any auto parts store worth its name should have it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Gonna head out in a little bit and see if i can pack them. I just got done lowering the front of my truck 5". while i had it apart i figured i'd just go ahead and replace it all, that's why i was askin. But thank you

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Grease all those parts at least every 3000 miles and you should get ALOT of wear out of them, proper lubrication is the key.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
bggrnchvy said:
Grease all those parts at least every 3000 miles and you should get ALOT of wear out of them, proper lubrication is the key.
:word: For on-road use thats probably a tad much :imo, i try every 5k. But, where the truck is offroad 99% of the time, 3k seems to work good (philmont..)

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Well in either case definitely do it every 5k, that will keep foriegn materials out and grease in, resulting in less metal on metal contact, friction and therefore heat which all equals happy joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts