GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I slid into a ditch goin 45mph and cranked my wheels fully hard while sliding in the snow. Ever since then there's been a grinding/cranking noise whenver I turn right and my wheels are near full lock. It's starting tohappen on the left now to.

What could be causing this? I think it's my bjs but not to sure. Where do you think I could get parts from the cheapest?

If it's gonna cost like a grand it's just more of a reason to buy a new truck to me

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Sounds like wheel bearings are going out to me. Or mabe a cv shaft if its a 4x4

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much ya figure to fix? Kevexj said he'd give me a hand putting in the parts.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
balljoints are like $50 each, and cv's are around $100 each, so if you killed all 4 bj's and both cv's you're only up to like $500 max after taxes. you're probly lookin at no more than 200 i'd guess

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
What kinda truck is it?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Sounds like CV's to me. You can pick them up usually from $50-100 each. They are cake to change if you have a good impact gun and a 36mm socket.

·
Registered
832 Posts
go out to your truck...grad your cv and try to move it back and forth. Back and forth being towards the tire then towards teh diff. If there is more than 1/8 of an inch of play your cvs are beginning to bite the dust. Then, Jack your truck up and grab the top of the tire and the bottom of the tire and try to pull the tire off from the top then from the bottom...if there is play your BJ's are failing. If both of those are tight i would look elsewhere. Test these things out before eyou rush off to buy parts you may not need.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
go out to your truck...grad your cv and try to move it back and forth. Back and forth being towards the tire then towards teh diff. If there is more than 1/8 of an inch of play your cvs are beginning to bite the dust. Then, Jack your truck up and grab the top of the tire and the bottom of the tire and try to pull the tire off from the top then from the bottom...if there is play your BJ's are failing. If both of those are tight i would look elsewhere. Test these things out before eyou rush off to buy parts you may not need.
Best advise so far. Do some diagnosing before you spend the dough. Parts changers change parts till its fixed, mechanics figure it out and fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts