GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one responded to my other threads, so I'll try this...
Has anyone ever tried this system on a vortec 5.7? Is it worth the $590 for the intake and exhaust? 3.5 inch all the way through seems really big for a stock vehicle? Would that hurt the vehicles performance in any way? Also, can any shops close to Chicago do a custom true dual set for under 850? I was looking at having an x-pipe,no cats, fabbed up with powerstick mufflers out the back, I'd supply the tips and mufflers, it'd 2.5 inch piping, preferrably stainless steel...I got quoted at 1050 so far, even aluminzed steel would be fine,, how long before that steel would rust? If i can't go true duals, is the banks kit worth it?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
why in the hell would you need a 3.5" exhaust? Do you have a turbo planned or something? Just get run 2.5" piping through true duals.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My entire exhuast setup with mufflers was $350 fabbed by a local shop.3 inch from the headers back.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
my single in, single out 3 inch dumped after the axle was 200 including the muffler. then again the muffler wasn't a name brand.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can't find a shop for true duals yet, and I keep getting ridiculous quotes...as for the banks system, I was shocked at the 3.5 inch size too, thats why i asked first...I really want the true duals out the back to reduce the in cab drone...

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I have a friend that works for Banks in their race shop... as far as I can tell he says those kits aren't anything special, but they're not bad either. Don't know much more about them than that.

If you consider an intake is usually $250+/- by itself and an exhaust will usually run you around $300+/- its not that bad of a price.... but 3.5" is a bit excessive IMO.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend that works for Banks in their race shop... as far as I can tell he says those kits aren't anything special, but they're not bad either. Don't know much more about them than that.

If you consider an intake is usually $250+/- by itself and an exhaust will usually run you around $300+/- its not that bad of a price.... but 3.5" is a bit excessive IMO.
Yea, thats what I was thinking...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hooker SuperCompetition 2806-1HKR will fit your truck. They will requirte custome headpipes and cats. You can weld in the bungs for the EGR and O2 sensors.
Pics of teh 2806 1HKR's with the EGR, AIR and O2 sensors bungs welded in.

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4461&highlight=supercomps

I am running the 2462 1HKR Competition 1 5/8"x 2 1/2" longtubes on my 1997 Vortec 350. These headers are designed for the 1988-95 TBI V8's, but fit fine on my 97.

The good thing about using longtubes on teh Vortec 350 trucks is that it forces you to use custom headpipes that get rid of teh restrictive dual 1 7/8" stock headpipes that crimp down much smaller than 1 7/8" due to the factory crimp bends.
I use a dual 2 1/2" headpipe/cat setup in my 97.

Banks makes a nice set of headers for the Vortec 350's. They have a 5/8" flange and require NO header gaskets.

peace
Hog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts