GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I swap my tailgate back door for barn style doors just a ?
And if so how and what all do I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on my '82 I like the rolldown window but for me the barn doors would be better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have seen it done but the work required is very demanding for all but the most skilled or patient.

Plus you could probily buy a running burb with the feature you want for less then the doors + mods. Then swap the best parts between the two and sell the other again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help I will just keep my door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The rear sill is different cause barn doors have a recessed area for the latches. The inner quarter panels are diferent since they don't have the reinforcement with the anchors that the barn doors bolt into and the hinges have to go thru the jamb to meet the inner panel. It's all different metal. You could make it work but not work well

·
i always catch you hatin'
606 Posts
yeah im pretty sure you would need to graft the whole rear door opening to be sure theyll work

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
dutch doors were meant to be heavy to keep horses from kicking through them but you can make lighter ones by substituting the 3/4 plywood for 1/2 plywood and instead of 2x6 use 1x6 boards. make sure you seal the doors while you are building them to keep rot out and use strap hinges so you dont have any sag problems.some horses like to lean on the bottom door so having a good tight fit will sometimes make the door swell shut during wet weather so keep the jams coated with beeswax so it wont stick shut.
===================================
phuket holidays
boat trailers
:think:

·
Is a ba
72 Posts
Lots of meth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so this is a VERY half assed answer, but it might be enough to get the ball rolling for you.

I have completely ripped apart the back end of 1980 burban, but for different reasons. I had more pictures, but this is the only one that i seem to have kept.

IMG_3270.jpg

Now, those are both the bottom, and the top some where. It been over a year since i ripped into mine so my memory is rather foggy.

If i remember correctly, the whole upper window channel is bolted in. Behind it, up top, are infact bolt holds for the hinges for doors. I want to say that the doors of these burbans the hinges recessed into the door, but its been even long since i looked at a burban with barn doors.

If you REALLY want barn doors, skim the junk yards and stuff for one with a good rear end. If you can get a good deal on the whole thing, bring it home and swap them out, i am almost positive there a direct swap. Make sure they are the same year to make it easier on your self, but if you have the donor truck besides your, i will bet its a direct swap

·
i always catch you hatin'
606 Posts
i wouldn't necessarily need the tailgate but the roll down window is worth it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts