GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Treasure State
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who do not know, I bought a set of Bassani Mid-Length headers to install on my 2002 1500HD w/ 6.0L & 4L80e. I picked up the headers new from SlvrSierra, the only problem is that they were P/N 531500C which is for the coated version of the headers for the 5.3L. For both the 6.0 and 5.3 the headers are the same, the only difference is the adapter pipes. So, I called up Bassani and ordered up a set of the 6.0L adapter pipes allowing me to pick up SlvrSierra's headers for less than full price and mount them up.

The version of the 531500C that I received from SlvrSierra did not have the EGR fitting, so I bought the GM EGR plug 12558346, and programed the EGR out of the PCM.

I installed the headers using Fel-Pro P/N MS92467 (i think that was the number). The old manifolds came out relatively easily, the head on the back bolt on both sides was broken off, luckily they came out easily with a set of vice-grips.

After installing them and getting the exhaust work done, I noticed a rather large exhaust leak. Turned out the header was resting against an ear that sticks out the side of the 4l80e. Unfortunately the ear had already done some damage to the header. I finally just sawzalled off the ear once I found out that that was the problem.
IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

The exhaust adapters that I got from Bassani didn't fit worth a poo. I had to have the headers adapted by the exhaust shop who actually did a great job of fitting them up.

Drivers side, the discolored part is the Bassani adapter, the small silver section is what the exhaust shop added to get the parts to fit up. Anyone know why the Bassani adapter is discolored?? I am guessing that the Bassani adapter is stainless steel and the exhaust shop parts are aluminized pipe.
IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

Passenger side adapted up. This was all built by the exhaust shop, I am really happy with quality of work they did.
IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Finally the moment you have all been waiting for, some pictures of the headers installed on the truck.
IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

Forgot to mention, I installed GM studs and nuts as well. P/Ns are 11589154 on the studs, and 11609746 on the nuts.

Any questions, comments, let me know.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Looks great! What was the old setup?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
:pepper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts