GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep charging the battery but once I take the charger off even though it says 100% charged, it just clicks like its dead and I have to jump it. My guess is battery is shot. nothing should drain it that fast even if there was a slight drain somewhere right? How would I be able to check? Battery over 3 years old as well it says 6 yr on it though

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
your battery is most likley killed, check all your grounds and battery ends if they are good and tight, then have the battery load tested. Most chargers just charge and top off and stop charging by voltage capacity rating(ussually 12.2-12.8 volts) and not cca amp capatity. Most batterys can get back to the 12 volt range showing good but, putting it under load in that state instantly will drop voltage like a rock. this is ussally what will kill the alt fast also. Its under constant load trying to charge what I call a black hole. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
bad battery. you may show voltage, 12.6v but if you don't have the amps then it will not turn over. probably have 1-2 dead cells.. time for a replacement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts