GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I have a typical leaky and weak Delco. I figure it has a week left in it.

I've priced Optimas and I've considered the Diehard and Interstate batteries. Who has the best price for Optima these days? Do the Optimas have any mounting issues or do they drop in?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The optimas drop right in. My dad has an interstate in his suburban and no complaints so far. I've got an optima in my blazer and its been good for nearly a year now with no issues. I think mine was $120. Supposedly you can go to the interstate battery store and pick up a visual defect optima for around $70.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I read about the blems at Interstate. I called and they didn't have any. They are sold "as-is". I don't mind paying a bit more for a full warranty. The Diehard is looking pretty good. I have a cheap Autozone battery in my SE-R that has turned out to be pretty kick ass. It replaced two Westco batteries. The Westco is made for the Miata ... small and lightweight. I used it when I was drag racing. Unfortunately a post broke on one and the other had a dead cell.

The Costco Optima is a Group 75. I went by there today. The CCAs are lower, not that it's really a big deal here in Houston. Heat tends to kill our batteries. :) I need to drop by Pep Boys to see if they have a Group 78 Optima Red Top for a decent price.

I need to replace my battery tray. It was pretty corroded. Thankfully everything around it still looks new. I cleaned everything up and I hope to keep it running for another week. If not, Sears here I come. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the original battery in a '99 with 85K miles. :) I think that's pretty damn good service for OE.

I don't trust the ebay Optimas either. With blems for sale relatively cheap, who's to say someone doesn't buy a bunch of those and turn around and sell them on ebay for a hefty profit.

A Diehard doesn't have the "boutique" appeal of an Optima, but they do the same job. This is coming from a guy that's known for his tricked out engine bays. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts