GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice my truck starting much slower now. Is my battery dieing? I'm thinking to replace it just in case, which one should I go with the original GM? Or a good battery brand from Pep Boys or AutoZone?
Thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
it could possibly be your alternator...mine took a while to go out and i could see each crank gettin slower and slower...the battery was fine...but it may also be your battery. My dad has a 2000 silvy and his went out a couple months ago, so yours might be on time...id recommend a yellow top optima...ive loved mine every second ive had it...great battery.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Could be battery, or your starter motor could be getting tired, or you could have a connection somewhere getting corroded or something. Whatever you do, don't get a delco battery, their battery terminals are famous for breaking off and leaking acid (mine did it, so did my dads). I got an Optima red top last may and couldn't be happier. Other good batteries are die hard and exide. There are very few batteries I would get form Pep Boys or Autozone, although I got my optima at autozone...

·
I am unable to comply
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it's the alternator, I would think that the battery gage would not show 14V once the engine is running. When the key is turned to on, the battery gage shows around 12-13V, once cranked up the needle jumps up to around +14V. So the alternator should be working.
Where to get a yellow top optima from?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I got my yellow top battery at Advanced Auto Parts. it was $160 when i got it, which isn't that bad of a price compared to some places ive seen online...i dunno where else besides auto parts stores that sell them...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I have a Yellow Top also. I'm very pleased with it and would recommend another also, but their price isn't cheap.

Any one from an auto parts store should be fine as long as the CCA meets the OE requirement. They also have good warranty policies.

I have a batt from O'Reilly in my F150...works great. Problem free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a yellow top, no problems, I run duell yellow tops, I get them for around 100 bucks from a buddy of mine...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts