GMC Truck Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is all I did when modding my stock box. You can go all out and cut out nearly all of the bottom, fender side, and front....but I don't think there is any noticeable advantage over what I did. The opening I cut out is right behind the headlights to the outside of the airbox mounting tab bracket. It's been like this for 4 years (including 4 michigan winters) with no problems at all.

DSC00712.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has no one tried taking out the MAF filter? It definitely yields more airflow but not sure if it increases the turbulence in the tube. Just curious!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Has no one tried taking out the MAF filter? It definitely yields more airflow but not sure if it increases the turbulence in the tube. Just curious!
It'll throw codes like a bastard.

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
if u wanna decrease tranny line pressure and feel like getting a new one go right ahead. ppl that remove MAF screens just dont think about why theyre there.

·
Hotel Z71
69 Posts
Becasue of this thread I went ahead and obtained the JR. kit. The goddamn dash rattles when you let it eat! Definitely is louder but sounds pretty good when under load. MPG went up 1 mpg. Accelerates a little better but nothing exciting. Worth the money I suppose.

Thanks BB for taking the time to test these kits.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't find just the tube for my application. I've looked and all I see is the whole system.

2000 OBS C3500 with a 454.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
85 Posts
So de-screening the MAF throws codes? That's weird, why does it do that? I was just gonna do that lol

·
Cant leave anything stock
293 Posts
Great thread with good information for those looking at getting a CAI. Would love to see how the full air raid system compares to their Jr. system.

Also wondering if these results are the same for NBS trucks, as I'm not sure how different the air box design is. If the airbox in my 04 is more restrictive than a 08 NNBS truck, it is possible I'd benefit from going to a full CAI.

That being said, any NBS owner should see great results from the Air Raid Jr, and it is noticeably cheaper so it'd be a great all around bet.

·
Vendor
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I can't find just the tube for my application. I've looked and all I see is the whole system.

2000 OBS C3500 with a 454.

Any help would be appreciated
I did a search as well and it seems they only make the whole system for your vehicle.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in getting a quote. Thanks!

·
( o) ( o)
2,460 Posts
Did mine last night.

OEM one is just odd...

1001121744a.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't bother really. We have seen no empirical data showing that the scoops or ram air have any benefits.
fwiw,

ram airs on cars have proven to perform better. i dont see why they wouldn't on trucks, but i realize a scoop and ram air are different

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
So de-screening the MAF throws codes? That's weird, why does it do that? I was just gonna do that lol
it decreases tranny line pressures...will fry your transmission

·
Registered
892 Posts
I installed the airaid m.i.t. yesterday and it seems to have gave the throttle a lot more crisp feel, and it sounds great. I'm running it with the afe pro dry-s drop in filter.

·
Registered
317 Posts
it decreases tranny line pressures...will fry your transmission
Humm, thats funny. Mine has been out since day one in my truck, never a code, and almost 200,000 miles now on stock 60e. Beat on daily. GM also removed them in the Corvette to gain a few hp. Some trucks cant seem to tolerate it being removed while others run fine without it. All four of my chevys have ran fine without it. Do so at your own risk if you do it.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts