GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make a decision on what to do with the bed on my 01 GMC. My previous truck had rhino in the bed and diamond plate rails, front wall cover and full tail gate cover. I really liked the protection that the diamond plate provided. However after looking at some pics it seems like all that diamond plate is kind of an "older look" I still plan to rhino or line-x the bed but was wondering what folks are doing now for rail and tail gate protection. I am sort of going for a mono color look with this truck. I already have a color matched TrailReady bumper. I plan to loose all the chrome except for the wheels. What do you guys think of going with the black diamond plate and painting it to match? Other suggestions? (BTW, truck is in the sig.)

edit: if it wasn't clear, all the diamond plate on my previous truck was the shiny, stainless steel type.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Just have your bedliner sprayed on the bed rails too. It's really popular here in Texas :read:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rails got to have something. I use the bed to haul stuff so sooner or later they are going to get scratched up and maybe dented. They have the plastic caps on it that were on it when I bought it. Who knows what the hell is under there. My dad has his rails done with rhino so I have a good idea what it would look like. I was hoping for a cleaner look.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
01Z71GMC said:
Rails got to have something. I use the bed to haul stuff so sooner or later they are going to get scratched up and maybe dented. They have the plastic caps on it that were on it when I bought it. Who knows what the hell is under there. My dad has his rails done with rhino so I have a good idea what it would look like. I was hoping for a cleaner look.
Get some of the metal caps and have them powder coated to match your truck. That should look nice, and your truck is lifted, I don't think it would look out of place.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
get the rhino liner done in your paint color. most people will never even see that you have your bed sprayed, or that it is over the rail if the shop matches the colors right.. its only about 100 bucks more to colormatch, and looks the best.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
I agree with Josh.

Rhino over the rails with colormatched IMO would look nice.
I have my rhino over the rails but its black and I really like it.

Black or color matched diamond would look good. I like Diamond plate but Im not that big of a fan of the over rail diamond IMO but colormatched or black might be cool

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
on the subject of bed rails, i have an 85 longbed and the previous owner drilled a bunch of holes on the top of the rails. anyone know a good place to buy diamond plate, or any other type, rail covers for a 73-87? most places dont carry accessories for older vehicles.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
billybob750 said:
on the subject of bed rails, i have an 85 longbed and the previous owner drilled a bunch of holes on the top of the rails. anyone know a good place to buy diamond plate, or any other type, rail covers for a 73-87? most places dont carry accessories for older vehicles.
very true... i sell them for a living, and have had a hard time finding them. i VERY rarely deal with trucks from the OBS though.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
billybob750 said:
A spray-in bedliner place can fill in those holes, depending on how big they are, if you want to go that route.

·
professional smartass
5,608 Posts
billybob750 said:
get a extang cover they will cover it

·
Registered
311 Posts
Regarding the holes: If the holes are no more than, say about 1/4" each, then you can still have a spray in liner on the rails. At our LINE-X shop, we use a metal tape, which is very expensive, to cover up the holes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GMGasm said:
Regarding the holes: If the holes are no more than, say about 1/4" each, then you can still have a spray in liner on the rails. At our LINE-X shop, we use a metal tape, which is very expensive, to cover up the holes.
How well can Line-X match to a body color. If I give them my paint code can they go from there?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
01Z71GMC said:
How well can Line-X match to a body color. If I give them my paint code can they go from there?
the linex shops here spray the liner, then paint over it.... ive heard of one that actually puts the pigment in the liner, but then i was told that was BS, that linex would chemically mess up with pigment in it. my company sprays TOFF which the pigment gets mixed in to the liner before it is sprayed. for small holes in certain parts of the bed, ive seen people use masking tape to cover the holes, then spray over the masking tape. i havent seen any problems with that method as long as the holes arent too big.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Josh said:
the linex shops here spray the liner, then paint over it.... ive heard of one that actually puts the pigment in the liner, but then i was told that was BS, that linex would chemically mess up with pigment in it. my company sprays TOFF which the pigment gets mixed in to the liner before it is sprayed. for small holes in certain parts of the bed, ive seen people use masking tape to cover the holes, then spray over the masking tape. i havent seen any problems with that method as long as the holes arent too big.

Josh,
How does Rhino liner color match? I saw a truck at the horse show not to long ago that had colormatched rhino liner and it was Perfect. didnt look painted on but I didnt really get down and look b/c I was thinking they were all mixed before it was sprayed. Looked good

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
BDZ71 said:
Josh,
How does Rhino liner color match? I saw a truck at the horse show not to long ago that had colormatched rhino liner and it was Perfect. didnt look painted on but I didnt really get down and look b/c I was thinking they were all mixed before it was sprayed. Looked good
i havent dealt with rhino too much. i believe that it is mixed into the liner before it is sprayed, just as the TOFF liner i sell is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BDZ71 said:
Josh,

Yeah the Rhino is done off of your paint code. The truck I mentioned above, I had color matched to the green of the truck and I just gave them the paint code over the phone. It took about a week for the mixed batch to get delivered to the sprayer. The match was dead on. When you cut into it, it is colored all the way through. However, as you can tell I am taking another look at LineX. My dad's truck is rhino'ed with the standard black. It has a fairly flat uniform look to it and has just a little give. (of course it wasn't as uniform or as hard as LineX.) The color match job I had done was totally different. It was a lot softer and had more of a lumpy, cottage cheese look. It (the color) looked great, even had kind of a metallic look like my paint, but I was constantly worried about cutting or gouging it, hardly what you are looking for in a bed liner. Now if LineX just paints over the top, well hell I can get that done probably cheaper than they would charge. BUT, if I could get a color matched rhino with the same texture and firmness as my dad's black job then I would be all over that. One note for those wondering, my dad and I had our rhinos done at different shops.

Did the topic just change here? :crazy: FWIW, I am starting to lean toward just doing the rails with whatever spray I go with. Still concerned about the top of the tailgate though.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
personally i wouldnt do it in color. ive seen a number of problems. sure it looks better, but things fade, that and patch and repair work wont match if you ever need that done later. im a fan of the way it looks, but wouldnt get it done personally

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Josh said:
personally i wouldnt do it in color. ive seen a number of problems. sure it looks better, but things fade, that and patch and repair work wont match if you ever need that done later. im a fan of the way it looks, but wouldnt get it done personally
The patch and repair work is a good point. Actually that would lean toward the LineX if it is over painted. If you had to have it patched you could just get it repainted. One thing about the fading though. My color matched rhino never did. Now I have heard of a lot of black rhinos fading. Well rhino has this UV protection that you can get as an option. Of course no one wants to pay for it. Its part of the package if you get the color matching. I had mine for 3 1/2 years. Because of my afore mentioned concern about gouging, I used a bed mat when ever I carried anything in the bed that might cut it. I also had a tool box. You could not tell any difference where these were and the parts that were never covered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.