GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be involved in haveing the stock NBS chevy grille sprayed in bedliner? Would it stick to it properly? I have one I want to have this done to, trying to get rid of the last bit of chrome up front.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
if you sanded it real good i think it should work.. and i think it would be pretty sweet..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
For your grill I would use that cheap stuff from Wal-Mart or Auto Zone. Your not gonna get much contact with anything cause of your grill guard. I bet if you prep it correctly and take off the chrome strip you won't have any problem.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Todd said:
For your grill I would use that cheap stuff from Wal-Mart or Auto Zone. Your not gonna get much contact with anything cause of your grill guard. I bet if you prep it correctly and take off the chrome strip you won't have any problem.
I agree, Sand it real good so it has something to stick to. Then just do it in the cheap stuff from wal-mart b/c its not going to be doing as much as your bed.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ive had very little experiance with sanding and painting plastics (in this case bed lining) so help me out here. What grit should I use? How much is enough sanding? Whats the best brand of the do-it-yourself bed liner?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
if i were gonna do it, id take it straight to linex and get it shot. i seriously doubt that it will take that much prep. sand the middle bar with some .... 400grit??? and hit the grey part with it too. talk to JB, he painted a work truck grille he got from me with that shit.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i may take it by and see how much they want for it, i dont want it to look like ass if I do it, but I also dont want to spend a fortune on it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think u meant 100 grit and not 1000 no biggie though. Hit it up with some hundred grit, prime it first, thats how they do rhino lining... then spray it with the bed liner. Shouldn't have any adhesion problems as long as you start out with a roughed up surface. Anything super smooth shit wont stick to

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Silvlowrdr said:
I think u meant 100 grit and not 1000 no biggie though. Hit it up with some hundred grit, prime it first, thats how they do rhino lining... then spray it with the bed liner. Shouldn't have any adhesion problems as long as you start out with a roughed up surface. Anything super smooth shit wont stick to
exactly... but, if you prime under it, and spray the bedliner soon after, the moisture of the primer will cause the bedliner to bubble and peel. 250 to 400 grit is about what id use. then 80 in certain trouble spots. if you give more than 75 bucks to get it done, you are gettin ripped.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im thinking ill bring it by and offer like 50 bucks, see if they will do it

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
why dont you just bedliner your entire truck :read:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Slash4824 said:
why dont you just bedliner your entire truck :read:
he wants to, dont run it past him...... he just doesnt want to pay what i costs to do it.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
exactly, I will one day, just cant afford it now. If you want to donate ill be happy to put the money in that direction.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Badassilverado said:
I can help you out here...my bumper cap is currently sprayed in bedliner (sprayed it myself.)

To prep that chrome use a pretty smooth sand paper, but even roughing it up won't matter. IDK, around 1000grit? Whatever it takes to get as much of the chrome off as you can. The bedliner spray creates it's own texture so little scratches won't show through. I'm not sure if you should put primer on it, might think about an adhesion promotor since I don't think the can mentions spraying plastics.

Other than that it's real easy... just spray on a few good THIN coats. Go thick and the texture won't lay out right. Buy two cans b/c it doesn't last very long. It's held up on my bumper cap for around a year just fine. I did spray my stock airdam with it (no prep, just taped off my bumper and sprayed) and it flaked off b/c I only had one thin coat on.
any pictures? :bowtie:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
exactly, I will one day, just cant afford it now. If you want to donate ill be happy to put the money in that direction.
If you ever did get really serious about it I can make some calls to a guy that has a buisness that Rhyno lines tank batteries in the oil field and he might do it. But you would have to drive out west for a couple days.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Todd said:
If you ever did get really serious about it I can make some calls to a guy that has a buisness that Rhyno lines tank batteries in the oil field and he might do it. But you would have to drive out west for a couple days.
Would definatly be interested in that in the future, I certainly dont mind driving out west, every time I go out that way I have fun :ninja:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts