GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys since i am redoing the rear of my truck, what would you prefer, over axle, behind axle or behind below axle for the rear air setup. ?
its kinda hard to do an over axle since it is a stepside 1500 so there is not alot of room. it would be doable but not work the time i dont think..
Thanks Guys :hmm:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
All three are really the same thing...so plan it out and put it where its gonna work best...really I'm not trying to be an ass but you really need to start putting your game plan together yourself and if you run into a problem post a question...this posting for an answer for every question is most likely going to leave you more confused on what to do.

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I would think that putting it behind or in front of the axle would put a lot of unnecessary torque on the axle which would be hard on the axle tubes and the link setup. over axle would be best imo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well c here is the think i dont ahve much of a game plan, I ask question b/c i like to know what people ahve done and what they have had probl;ems with in the past, wjhat works good and what does not. See if i ask question i will more than likely get a million awnser to one question and none of them will be the same.. So i ahve always asked question. Dont mean to be affensive or anything b ut if me asking questions in not ok then i will wait untill i run into a problem then spend more money trying to get out of the problem. when the problem might have had a solution before i ran into it . Thanks

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I would think that putting it behind or in front of the axle would put a lot of unnecessary torque on the axle which would be hard on the axle tubes and the link setup. over axle would be best imo
fail...
the link bars hold the axle in place aaron.
and axle tubes are crazy thick. and the link bars thats what lateral force. it wont hurt it.
lots of people run behind or infront. i actually think its better for wheel hop issues

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
Only 800hp? Hmmm.... I'm not too sure a properly designed 4 link suspension can handle that.

/sarcasm

Seriously though... put the bags where you want, just make sure the brackets are welded and gusseted properly. My personal experience, on top the axle rides like shit. I think behind the axle rides a lot better, and if you go with a 6 link cantilever, and mount the bags on the rear bar, it rides like butter. And not the spray kind either. Just my experiences and opinions though... others may differ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is one of my smaller motors so i can play in town lol..... It has a behind axle setup now and i am going to have to redo it all so i think i will go back with that and some re8 slamair bags for a little more lift.. The truck will not clear the wheels out of the fender whels now, it is a stepside but still... Hey one mroe question. I had heard not to run anything over 150 PSI on the push lock type fittings, i have some T push lock fittings i was gonna use but i am not sure now?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
im running 200 psi on 3/8s PTC fittings. ive heard of guys running more. as for the bag setup, i have behind and under with firestone f9000s w/ a parallel 4-link and love it. it rides good, it hooks up off the line, and it tows pretty well too. ive towed a small trailer with 2 quads, plus 2 sets of upper and lower craftsmen tool boxes. i hit big bumps and never had a problem. in two weeks im towing a 20' bayliner boat.

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
fail...
the link bars hold the axle in place aaron.
and axle tubes are crazy thick. and the link bars thats what lateral force. it wont hurt it.
lots of people run behind or infront. i actually think its better for wheel hop issues
You're such an asshole, lol

I know a bunch of people run it like that. I can see what you mean with the wheel hop.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey nick993, what kinda klift do you get out of the rear of your truck, I think mine will behind and unders as well, triangulated 4 link, and maby re8 bags 11 inch lift, 2.9 compressed. i have a yukon to pull my stuff with .. i wann pull a litle4x8 triailer i am gonna bag and paint liek the truck along with my R1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts