GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally opened the box for my belltech notch for my 99-02 GMC. all i have to say about that notch is holy shit. that thing looks so over built for that truck. i was worried about cutting the frame but after seeing how thick that metal is im not anymore. i do have one question for those with that notch. the instructions say to remove the coating on the frame, why do they want you to do that? wouldnt it allow the frame to rust in that area? i guess after i cut it i could paint it with some rustolem paint then the undercoating in a can? what have you done to the frame there?? the install of the notch will start tomorrow and ill be putting belltech helper bags on too. :head:

·
Which One?
239 Posts
you should go over your frame with a wire wheel. Just in the area where the notch will be. Its so that there wont be all that crap in between the frame and the new notch pieces. I dont know how much crap is on your frame, but it could also make for a cleaner weld.

I would say it would be best to wire wheel it, prime it where its metal on metal, weld three sides, prime inside of notch and inside of last peice, weld it up, and prime and finish. IMO

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't bother trying to wire wheel it, grind it whatever.......it sucks and will just gum up on the wheels. Just get a propane torch and heat it up and you can wipe it right off. Do a final clean with a shot of Brakleen and you'll be amazed how good it looks unless it's rusted.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wtf is up with the nuts on the u-bolts???? do i need a special socket to get them off? i tried a 21mm and a 13/16" and they both are the same. they only seem to fit one way then if i get them on the nut is stuck inside them. do i just need to get a 22mm deep socket? i am using air tools if that matters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i took the other side off using a 22mm open end wrench. (its too late to be running to compressor right now) ill have to go out and get a 22mm deep and short socket tomorrow. next i have to tackle removing the drop shackles and hangers from the truck and bolting the factory hangers back on. when i put the hangers on i used grade 8 lock nuts and lock washers. will there be a problem re-using the lock nuts or should i replace them?? i think the cutting will happen tomorrow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the nuts are pressed out of round so that there is resistance to them coming off, thats how mine were anyway. i had a 13/16's at first and noticed it only fit on one side, the nuts had been pressed. they did this instead of a nylock nut or lock washer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

this is all i got done tonight. im a slacker i know, but with my girlfriend going for surgery tomorrow i had a few more things to take care of. i guess all you have to clean the frame for is to trace the cut template on the frame. i know your supposed to drill holes in the corners, so what size holes do i want to drill? this might be on hold for a little. depends how busy ill be after her surgery.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YES actually it is 98% done. all i need to do is run the airline for the helper bags and get some pics. i finished at like 8:30pm. the rear is a little low for me i think. maybe it will grow on me. right now its sitting at 3/6. hopefully the helper bags will be able to give me 1" of lift with some air. it took me so damn long because i had to remove the old 4" rear stuff. will have pics tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
flip kit pics

here are the awaited pics. truck is now sitting at 3/6. i need to level it out. i dont want to lower the front any more. so im hoping that the bags with some psi in them will raise it about an inch.

as always post comments/suggestions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts