GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any home fixes for belt sqeak? i've been told thiers a spray you can use that will lubricate the belts, but can't find it. anyone have any ideas. this shit is driving me nuts.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
I've heard the home remedy for this is to pour a little soda on it. Should make it nice and sticky. lol I wouldn't recomend it and never tried it so take that for what it's worth.

I've also heard to hold a bar of soap to the edge of the belt while it's idling.

I think I would just try installing a new belt.:imo

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yea usually its just the belt. When I was younger I ended up replacing all the accessories on my motor only to find out it was a belt.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
get yourself a goodyear gatorback belt...best fuckin stock replacement belts for any vehicle IMO.

if your cheap, you can get belt dressing or get some silicone grease and apply in an extremely thin layer and at random spots on the belt...

Dave

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It's known as belt dressing, but I can find it everywhere. Check to see if the belt is glazing, if so, replace it. Sometimes, a pulley out of postion can cause it...usually the alternator. And make sure the belt is tight, but does have a bit of slack to it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's known as belt dressing, but I can find it everywhere. Check to see if the belt is glazing, if so, replace it. Sometimes, a pulley out of postion can cause it...usually the alternator. And make sure the belt is tight, but does have a bit of slack to it.
we just replaced the alternator, i got a feeling that may be the problem. all the belts looked good or replacing them woulda been my first thought.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
IF you just replaced it, ther's and good chance it may be too loose, too tight, or too far up or back. Make sure it is correct before going forward. Gatorback is great, but if a pulley is off, it will go sooner or later, as well.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Idler pulleys like to go bad over time too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a trick I use at work. I let the engine idle then use a wire brush to clean the smooth and ribbed sides of the belt, works every time. Just dont get the brush stuck between a pulley and belt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I hope you can still take that alternator back....I did the same thing about a year ago, i thought it was the alternator bearing but it ended up being the belt. even though they look good, they still need to be replaced. I can almost guarantee you that its the belt. Dont put silicone on the belt, it keeps it quiet for a few days but it makes a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts