GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is a pipe bender... Exhaust is made with tubing... Unless your making your exhaust out of sch. 40 pipe then it's a no go.

A regular tubing bender generally goes to 2" OD max, some more expensive ones go to 2.5 typically.

You need an exhaust bender which are pricey or a mandrel bender which is waaay pricey.

Or, you could just buy the pre-mandrel bent pieces from Summit and piece the system together, thats what I do. Buy a bunch of pre-bent stuff and some universal tail pipe kits.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
That is a pipe bender... Exhaust is made with tubing... Unless your making your exhaust out of sch. 40 pipe then it's a no go.

A regular tubing bender generally goes to 2" OD max, some more expensive ones go to 2.5 typically.

You need an exhaust bender which are pricey or a mandrel bender which is waaay pricey.

Or, you could just buy the pre-mandrel bent pieces from Summit and piece the system together, thats what I do. Buy a bunch of pre-bent stuff and some universal tail pipe kits.
Winnar!

You'll most likely just crush exhaust tube with that pipe bender unless you like .120" wall exhaust tubing:insane: I couldn't imagine trying to fit custom exhaust setups with the CLR you'll end up with using that bender for 90's.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Still sucks, however if you want to build the brushguard out of SCH40 pipe and you're ok with a large CLR and have to make 3 bends to make a 90 it can work.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahah you lost me completely. Can you put that in retard so i can understand? Is there any sort of cheap bender that would be alright for most general applications, maybe a non-hydraulic one ie. the "insert pipe here.... and yank here" style?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Yea, I picked up the Pro-Tools 105HD without the stand or degree ring and a 1.75" 240* die for about $600 and then proceeded to dump more into making it hydraulic. But if you got the stand or made one and found a place to mount it you could be into it for about $650, takes some muscle and time to operate the ratchet though.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this would be a no go? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31980

That pro-tools one looks pretty cool, i might save up for that if i have to. would i be able to bend some decent piping if i mounted a bender to an old 35" filled w/ concrete? I've heard of ppl doing it, but not sure on what piping they're going w/.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah, kk. thx. I guess im saving up then. What about the tire stand thing?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I doubt sincerely the free standing 35" tire full of concrete would have enough mass to provided a stable anchor for the kind of focre you'll exert on the tubing with the ratchet and cheater pipe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't get it, been there done that.like stated above it will just collapse the pipe.We found a good deal on a bender that goes up to 3" alot of shops r getting different benders do to the diesel and there bigger pipe diameters so they need to upgrade,we picked ours up for 1k with all the dies:rocking:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts