GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am done with my SS hardline. I plumbed it in with 1/2" SS hardline and it is connected with Gyrolock (like swagelock) fittings. I ended up doing it in many pieces and using unions to put them together. It just got to hard to manage trying to do it in one piece. I have been done for a couple of weeks now. We have lifted and lowered the truck and everything seems to be ok. I do have a leak that I have to track down, but I don't think it is a result of the SS hardline. I think it was preexisting (maybe a leaking valve). I used a total of about 55' with the little scrap I had. If I went back and redid some of the "uglier" lines and scrapped them I would probably be at about 75' used. I decided to leave well enough alone since this will not be seen once the bed is on.

I was sore for 2 days after bending this crap and my elbows and forearms hurt so bad the night of that I used some of my wifes meds for her bad back. I will never plumb another truck in 1/2" SS hardline. maybe 3/8" but no more 1/2".

All in all, I am pretty happy with it since this is my first time trying to bend line. I learned alot and I will use it on the next project.

Anyways, here are some pics after I got the valves all wired up too.

And yes I know that they do stick up pretty high from the side view and I will probably have to trim out another part of the crossmember on the bed. I am not real worried about it at this point. We will probaby add in some new crossmembers on the bed since most of them are getting cut out.

Later
Chad

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Thats sweet Im about to switch my truck to 1/2" .020 wall stainless hard line also. But Im borrowing basically a mantrel tube bender from my work to make it easier. hopefully. But that looks sweet, Good job.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hell yeah. looks beautiful chad. you werent at the AON show yesterday.. thought for sure id see you there.
I was there until 11:30, but I have pool league at 1:00 so I had to leave.

That and my wife got home the night before after being gone for a week. I wanted to spend some time with here you know.

Later
Chad

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good... any reason brass can't be used?
if you are talking about using brass compression fittings, the stainless steel is much harder than brass so they furrels would just crush and not "lock" into the line. You can use brass fittings with stainless furrels, at least that is what they local Gyrolock guy told me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
looks badass. i know how you feel i ran 1/2, .48 stainless with swagelok fittings.. i had a few leaks with mine at first i had to go back and double check all the fittings. that solved the problem.. is the bed bodydropped already?? i was wondering how all them lines running high are going to fit? looks great keep us updated..

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Could you run brass compression fittings and brass line and get the same results? I had a buddy ask me this today cause he wanted to save money and not buy the stainless stuff. And I said I didn't know but i would find out.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could you run brass compression fittings and brass line and get the same results? I had a buddy ask me this today cause he wanted to save money and not buy the stainless stuff. And I said I didn't know but i would find out.
I don't know. I just figured, if I am going to do it, I am going to do it big.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't know. I just figured, if I am going to do it, I am going to do it big.
Thats what i figured also and thats why im doing stainless. It looks sweet man, again great job. And you never have to worry about it. If you blow one of those lines you have a huge problem.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks badass. i know how you feel i ran 1/2, .48 stainless with swagelok fittings.. i had a few leaks with mine at first i had to go back and double check all the fittings. that solved the problem.. is the bed bodydropped already?? i was wondering how all them lines running high are going to fit? looks great keep us updated..
Yes the bed is bodydropped. We took out enough of the bed to cover the notch even with the body drop. I think it was like 9 1/4". The bed is just under 10" deep now. We call it the coin slot.

Later
Chad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts