GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about ordering a 180 degree thermostat. Just asking what are the pros and cons. Did most everything else within reason - tons of bolt on stuff
Dynatech Lt's etc Just want to spend another $50.. and call it quits
Thanx!!! Sorry - 2001 5.3L Silv. 1500 2wd

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Your stock thermo should be fine. You should see aout 185-200* as your normal temperature. It gets to be 110+ here in Tracy and last summer my truck stayed right at 185*. 185-200* is what these motors were designed to perform at. So like I said, stock will be fine.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, I'd pass on it unless the deal is cheap. I really need to dump my 160°F unit bad.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
why whats bad about them like he said?
Nothing is necessarily bad about them but some people have had troubles getting their trucks to warm up properly with 160* and 180* thermos. LSx based engines are designed to run in 185-200* temperatures. It would be a decent mod if you are FI and trying to keep everything cool but with minor mods its useless

·
Registered
551 Posts
i had a 160 and i could tell a different in temp

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Nothing is necessarily bad about them but some people have had troubles getting their trucks to warm up properly with 160* and 180* thermos. LSx based engines are designed to run in 185-200* temperatures. It would be a decent mod if you are FI and trying to keep everything cool but with minor mods its useless

Exactly. TOO low is bad like TOO hot. A 180° is about ideal. My Ford has it and I constantly run about 180-185°F freeway and 190-200°F in town. Has a two core aluminum radiator (28") and a high flow water pump.

·
Registered
603 Posts
actually 174* i believe is when it sets for proper operating temp. before that its still in warm up mode

there isnt a true need unless you start going huge amounts of timing, larger motor, boost and etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts