GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like it ses wat would i beneift from having my heads port&polished.....
im biulding up an 04 lq4 cam and full bolt ons....tune also...headers back exhaust. the heads are off and getting the manifold bolt out of em....should i do this now or no?

·
Is a ba
72 Posts
They'll be shiny. You'll get better airflow, go ahead and do it.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rllly ....i may be wrong and way off topic here but i thot i red a long time ago somewhere p&p the heads does something to the comprrssion?? and its not always good if you not running a turbo or sumin????

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
does nothing to alter compression. It just increases air flow.

You may be confusing P&P with a "mill" job, which shaves the head surface down and will bump up compression, similar concept to running a thinner head gasket too. Another way to alter compression is to put in some different pistons (difference between your LQ4 and the higher compresson LQ9).

I guess it depends on how cheap you can get them P&P'ed, and also how big of a cam you plan on running, the bigger the cam, the better you want your heads to flow. Might not be completely worth it IMO if you're just doing a fairly mild set-up, but if you've got the cash, no reason not to before you put the motor in, haha!

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
does nothing to alter compression. It just increases air flow.
unless you take too much material out of the combustion area.

Get a good set of heads. Along with a good and proven P&P job, they also add in bigger valves. Dont try it at home, you can actually make them flow worse due to turbulence in the runners and the bowl area.

Youll definitely benefit from it.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea well im running a 228r cam with a 3200 stall....im having a motor shop rebiuld the whole engine and he asked how i felt about a p&p while i was at it.....i figured if it wont hurt and will only help a lil bit then y not....

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rllly matt from TSP told me a 3200 would be fine....and i know a guy running a 3000 stall in his silverado ss with it....

i wanna put 4.10 gears in....

they are jus the 317 aluminum heads off an 04 lq4

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
rllly matt from TSP told me a 3200 would be fine....and i know a guy running a 3000 stall in his silverado ss with it....

i wanna put 4.10 gears in....

they are jus the 317 aluminum heads off an 04 lq4
Yeah it'd be great, unless of course, you want the truck to perform like it should. I also know a guy with a SS running a 3200 with that cam. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. A stock truck needs more than a 3200. The 228 needs alot more. If you don't mind leaving .5 sec on the table, then by all means, get the 3200.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Not if you pick a good converter. I daily drive a 4000, with a smaller cam; but I have a 4.56 gear and 28" tire. It might take you a couple days to get used to it, but it will be fine. I got 16.8 mpg on my last tank of gas too. I got 12 when it was stock, so there goes that argument. :lol:

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
woooow thats awsome!! but with a stall doesnt it mess with the take off aspect of the truck.... sorry im not that familiar with wat the converter does actually.

thanks for the help man i apreciate...

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i plan on running a 29 inch tall tire....4.10 gears....228r cam....flt level 4 4l60e/70e....full bolt ons ....headers back with corsa.

jus need to fgure out exact stall for this setup to be a nice daily driver but wen i punch it i wanna take off and show wat shes got

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i plan on running a 29 inch tall tire....4.10 gears....228r cam....flt level 4 4l60e/70e....full bolt ons ....headers back with corsa.

jus need to fgure out exact stall for this setup to be a nice daily driver but wen i punch it i wanna take off and show wat shes got

You need more gear and one hell of a looser converter than 3k.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
:word: With a 4.10 gear, you should be looking at a 26" tire.

:wave: welcome back :biggrin: been out on the golf courses or what as of late? :rofljest:

·
Flying Low
221 Posts
If you're going to get the 317's ported and polished I would have them milled some while at it to raise your compression on the lq4 or see if you can get some 243's and p&p those. The 228 cam is on the small side for a 6.0 and will be ok on a 3200 conveter but like previously stated, you'll be leaving alot on the table.
I p&p/milled my 317's an my LQ9 and I run a 236/240 cam on a 4k multidisk precision converter which is very streetable. Now, everyone has their own opinions on streetability....as for 26" tires with a set up like this? two words "no traction"......

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you're going to get the 317's ported and polished I would have them milled some while at it to raise your compression on the lq4 or see if you can get some 243's and p&p those. The 228 cam is on the small side for a 6.0 and will be ok on a 3200 conveter but like previously stated, you'll be leaving alot on the table.
I p&p/milled my 317's an my LQ9 and I run a 236/240 cam on a 4k multidisk precision converter which is very streetable. Now, everyone has their own opinions on streetability....as for 26" tires with a set up like this? two words "no traction"......
If he can't get a cam only 6.0 to dead hook on a 26" tire, then he has serious suspension issues.

A cam like yours should have a 5k. What does it 60'?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts